Intra-topic link to post doesn't let you go back

(Alexander) #1

So I was catching up on some gnashing of teeth. In that topic there are some posts in the 50s which link to other prior posts in the same topic. Clicking one of those links jumps me up to the other post, but I don’t have a way to get back to the post I was at.

Walkthrough: I go directly to post 57 (and my URL bar agrees), so I have no browsing history. I click that first link, to post 46, and the browser jumps up to that post and the URL bar shows that I’m on post 46.* Since I’ve clicked on a link which I know goes to the same part of this page, I assumed it would behave like an #anchor link, which would let me hit back to get to the scroll position I was at before I clicked the link.

(Chrome 35 on OS X 10.9.4)

* ok that url says 45 but it’s so post 46 is right there where you’re going to start reading it I think…

(Jeff Atwood) #2

If you can repro this @eviltrout we should fix it.

(Robin Ward) #3

Normally when we link to one post from another in a topic (say, jump to top/bottom) we don’t push a history entry because the user just considered that moving around. It seems weird to me personally that you’d jump to the top, then hit back would bring you tot he bottom.

On the other hand, I think some users might expect that jumping rather than scrolling should push history like you said. But I find it feels wrong when I hit back and don’t go to the topic list rather than the previous position.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Oh sorry I missed the anchor bit. Can be disregarded.

(Alexander) #5

Not pushing a history entry just feels inconsistent when comparing it to an anchor link. Especially since Discourse does so well at keeping track of exactly where I was in the topic if I go visit another topic and then come back.