Invite existing user to thread

(Scott Trager) #1

Hi guys,

It’s obviously easy to “add” someone to a thread by using an @ mention (for example, I just added @Bill_S to this thread).

However, on private messages there is an “add user” option and on threads there is an “Invite” option where you can put an email address. If you try to put a user name in the invite it tells you to enter an email address. If you put an email address of an existing user, it fails saying they already exist… Could this be updated to have similar behavior to an @ mention? To a new user it might seem like there is no way to add an existing user to a thread, especially if you don’t know about @ mentions as they are not a common feature on most non-wordpress forums.

Invite existing user to a topic
Share with a user via Message?
(Mittineague) #2

Isn’t the ability to Invite limited to members that are no longer “new”? (>= Trust Level 1?)
Not that this means one out of the sandbox would necessarily know the workings.

Instead of modifying the behavior, do you think changing the copy might be enough help?

(Scott Trager) #3

While I can certainly see the need for some limiting (I was just
speculating with @bill_s earlier that a troll could @ mention a moderator
or admin on a ton of threads, or @mention a ton of people on a spam post to
use the system to bulk email them), it makes no sense to allow people to
invite people who AREN’T a member, but you are not allowed to invite people who
ARE.

Maybe there should be a profile option to prevent people from inviting you
totally, and set BOTH types of invitations to TL1?

(Dean Taylor) #4

TL0 users can only mention a max of 2 users in a psot - see the TL0 definition.

There is also a setting for limiting the maximum number of users that can be mentioned for the other Trust Levels and all users (including admins).

A side note - if you are using SSO you can’t currently invite any users to PM’s.

(Scott Trager) #5

Multiple accounts to invite more users could get by that although i’d assume thats a real corner case. Either way that still doesn’t solve the overall issue that you can invite people to a topic who aren’t a member, but can’t invite people (without an @) who are.

(Dean Taylor) #6

Both on Facebook and Google Plus mentions are an established way of inviting someone to a conversation for any public conversation.

(Scott Trager) #7

Which appeal to an entirely different target audience from most forums. When I was showing the @mention feature as part of our evaluation, I was the only one in my office who knew what they were- everyone in the room was kinda wowed by them as if it was something brand new in discourse - point being that they aren’t as universally known as you seem to think.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

This has been carried out here:

(Arpit Jalan) #9