Invite system automatically joining people

(Neil) #1

Using the invite system, I’ve invited someone using their old email address. The invite bounced - however, they have been joined up seemingly automatically.

The bounce message says: #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

I’m using mandrill to send the emails and there it shows the link has been clicked on, however the subsequent email sent out also bounces and doesn’t get clicked on.

The invite was received at a server which uses messagelabs.com. I’m not sure if this is relevant.

While I can’t put my finger on what is causing the automatic joining, it’s clear that something isn’t quite right.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I’m sorry, I am not following this at all. If the user signed up, what’s the problem again?

Note that if the email address is incorrect, that user will have other problems. I suggest deleting the invite and the user and inviting them again from their correct and current email address.

Alternately you could edit the account to use the correct email which should also work (that user will get an email confirmation).

(Neil) #3

The problem here is that the invitation system is at times joining members up without their active involvement of clicking the link in the invitation email.

I can evidence this with some invitees whose email addresses have bounced being joined, without anyone personally authorising the joining. I have now seen this happen on two of our installations on more than one occasion. There are questions here of why and how is this happening.

At this stage I can’t say conclusively other people have been joined without clicking the invite link however I strongly suspect this is the case. My suspicion is based on the speed a number of members joined when we issued a bulk set of invites and that the IP addresses of several members are the same being located in a different country to where you would expect them to be and that they are from different organisations. The common denominator seems to be that their organisations use the Messagelabs service. No one however has raised an issue with us yet so I can’t say there is a wider problem.

So at this stage I can only evidence invitees with bounced emails being joined. Naturally these users are unknown by their mail servers and do not exist in reality. To me this is an indication there is a problem.

(Kane York) #4

Is this a result of the incoming mail system creating a staged account for the bounce message?

(Sam Saffron) #5

What you are describing is a bug, what we need is a clear repro

(Neil) #6

I’ve had this confirmed that it is definitely happening. We invited earlier today some colleagues at another organisation to join our forum. Soon afterwards I received this email from one of them:

I’m not sure if you are having technical difficulties or a virus but
our team have been receiving multiple emails from [our forum name], the
initial please sign up email was fine but then without clicking
anything it is automatically emailing again saying you have accepted
the invitation and to set a password, then another email saying
welcome. This is all without clicking anything!

So, it would appear to be a bug. How can I help resolve it? What further information can I provide which would help to resolve it?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Hmm could this be a new regression @zogstrip ?

Maybe messagelabs has some sort of bot that explores the links found in the incoming mail? If so, the IP address you’ve noted would be associated with them.

Often you can confirm such things by googling the IP address. Whois might also be useful.

Invite tokens accepted and ROT13 transformed
(Jeff Atwood) #9

This is almost certainly what @mc0e said. Some “anti-virus” process in their mail pipeline is retrieving the links from the emails and causing this problem.