Invite Users - Account Name and Password

(Ian Tornay) #1

Is there a way to make it so that sending an invite to a prospective user prompts them to select and usersname and password instead of automatically assigning these values?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I believe if you use a CSV list of invites you can specify username. However, password is something the user has to set. “Knowing” the password, at any time, is a security violation and is not possible.

(Eli the Bearded) #3

I think the request is for invites to not provide any defaults for account name or password, instead only to ask the invitee for those.

(Ian Tornay) #4

This is correct. Sorry if I my initial request was not clear.

Current functionality:

User receives invite, accepts invite, is take straight to discourse forum, has been assigned a username and password, user does not know their password.

Desired functionality:

User receives invite, accepts invite, is taken to account creation interface where they select username and password

(Jeff Atwood) #5

We designed the invite system so people can get in and start posting immediately; nagging the user with a dialog isn’t in the cards at the moment. You should be able to specify username in the CSV file of invites, though.

(@techapj can you confirm this is the case with usernames and the CSV invite file?)

(Ian Tornay) #6

I can appreciate that.

But I think there’s always going to be a question in the back of a user’s mind – “What is my username? What is my password?”

And there’s the added disorientation of the user not being able to log back in because they don’t know their password.

I can see both sides. Having the option to prompt account creation would be nice, but it’s not critical.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Your password is your email address, generally speaking. Guess what happens when you forget your password? :wink:

(Arpit Jalan) #8

Currently, specifying username is only supported when generating invite links via Discourse API. Here is the howto: