Invite works more than once

(Tiago Carvalho) #1

Hi there, sorry if someone else already brought this up or if it was already fixed on the latest version, I tested it on v0.9.6.1.

I invited myself using another email, when I clicked on the link in the email a user was automatically created. So I went and deleted that user.
Then I went and clicked the link in the email again and the user was created a second time.

I think this is a bug because the invitation should work only once.
As in the case I invited someone and deleted that user, so I don’t want that user anymore in my forum (I have also set so new users can be added only by invitations).
So after deleting the user I don’t want him/her to be able to access my forum unless I send another invitation.

Of course we could also set something like a super invitation that lasts forever and always work but I think the default should be that the invitation works only once.

Has anyone tested this?

EDIT: Oh yeah, please don’t ask me to try this on the latest version! =P
I’m using bitnami VM so everything was set up for me, I spent a long time to get email to work and to change from port 80. I’m a newbie with Linux! I want to try updating to the latest version but I don’t know how long it will take for a successful update.

(Sam Saffron) #2

It does sound like a bug, and I am pretty sure this is also the case on master.

We need to do a better job at expiring these links.

(Tiago Carvalho) #3

Ok.
Since I plan on using an invite only forum, this is actually pretty important so it’s good to know that you guys are aware of it.

Thank you very much!

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Yeah as I recall we never finished the expiration feature. But there should be some expiration threshold. Expiration does work, it is unclear if invites can be redeemed more than once.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

@eviltrout fixed it so that once an invite is redeemed, there is only a very brief window (24 hours) where you can continue to use the invite to log in.

If the invite is not redeemed, then it stays active longer.

(Jeff Atwood) #7