Invited a friend and now they are Trust Level 2?

(Lee Dohm) #1

On my board for my gaming group, I am an Admin and I manually promoted myself to Trust Level 4, Elder, mainly so my trust level didn’t say “Basic User”. I invited a friend to my board using the “Invite User to Topic” feature. They accepted last night and when I checked on their user profile this morning … they’re showing as Trust Level 2, Regular User. According to this post:

Trust Level 3 and above are supposed to make invited users start at Trust Level 1, not 2.

Or am I misreading something?

Unable to add invited emails to trust level groups
(Kane York) #2

This is the appropriate code in core:

user = User.new(email: invite.email, username: username, name: username, active: true)
    if invite.invited_by and invite.invited_by.has_trust_level?(:leader)
      # People invited by users with trust level 3 will start at the default trust level + 1,
      # unless the default trust level is 2 or higher.
      user.trust_level = SiteSetting.default_invitee_trust_level
      user.trust_level += 1 if user.trust_level < TrustLevel.levels[:regular]
    else
      user.trust_level = SiteSetting.default_invitee_trust_level
    end
    user.save!

Hmm, the default value of default_invitee_trust_level is 1.

I think the logic is messed up here.

(Lee Dohm) #3

I double-checked to be certain, my default trust level settings are at the defaults …

(cpradio) #4

I’m not an expert by any means when it comes to Ruby, but wouldn’t this change the default invitee trust level from 1 to 2?

(Alexandre Angelim) #5

The invitee does get level 2 if the inviter is a Leader. If the inviter is a regular user it will honor the default_invitee_trust_level.
I think its intentional. Leaders are a special groups entitled with a lot of trust. If they invite someone, I don’t see a problem with that person being a regular user.

(Lee Dohm) #6

Then the bug is in the “What do user trust levels do?” post because that is not what it says under “Users at trust level 3 ‘can…’”: “invited users start at trust level 1 instead of 0”

I suspect this is not as was originally designed. And it certainly isn’t what I intended to happen.

(Mittineague) #7

I too was a bit surprised when I - TL 4 and Staff - invited 3 others and found they were started off as TL 2

I didn’t think it was a bug, but that because of my “trust” some assumption was made as to their “trust” i.e.
If I’m OK then they too are likely OK

(Lee Dohm) #8

Absolutely, though my expected definition for “OK” was TL1 :grinning: This gets them past the TL0 “we don’t trust you yet” speed bump where they aren’t allowed to post too many links or any images. But they still have to contribute to get further than that.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Indeed, this seems like a bug to me. @neil can you check it?

(Neil Lalonde) #10

That behaviour is intentional. The What do user trust levels do? post doesn’t document it though.

invited users start at trust level 1 instead of 0

Invited users always start at trust level 1 (using the default default_invitee_trust_level). That isn’t a privilege of trust level 3. What we meant is that people invited by trust level 3 get a higher trust level than other invited users.

(cpradio) #11

Hmm, okay, not sure I like the idea, as then I can’t invite someone who I “sort of” know at a lower trust level. I’m forced to only invite them at level 2. But at the same time, I don’t see that being a frequent issue…

(Neil Lalonde) #12

Yeah I can see how that can be a problem. Maybe the trust level 3 privilege should be:

If default_invitee_trust_level is 0, invited users start at trust level 1.

But that’s only useful if someone deliberately lowered the default_invitee_trust_level to 0, which will probably never happen. So… I’m not sure what the solution is.

(Lee Dohm) #13

Sounds like the solution is to update the “What do user trust levels do?” topic, which you’ve already done :smile:

Thanks for the response!

(Neil Lalonde) #14

I’ve removed the trust level + 1 thing, since it doesn’t make sense.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.