Invited user to an invisible topic - he doesn't see it

(Marco) #1

Hello and thank you for making Discourse.

I tried to invite some users to an invisible topic, they accepted the invitation but then they said they couldn’t see the topic. I have to give them the topic link to let them participate. Do they get the topic’s link in the invitation email?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Invisible topics are only visible to staff so you would need to make them staff. There is no concept of per topic permissions at this time.

(Marco) #3

Fine, this answers my question, thank you. But then when I give them a direct link they can see the topic and even add messages. If they share this link with others, the invisible topic becomes of public domain! It is a weak invisibility in my opinion.

My requirement is that I don’t want to make people part of the staff but at the same time I’d like to share a topic or an entire category with a selected group of people, while keeping it hidden from others.

Thanks.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

That is entirely doable! Topics cannot have permissions on them, but categories can. Assuming you are an admin, you can make a category, make a group, add users to the group, and make the category viewable only to the new group.

Then, any topics in that category are actually private - sharing a link with a user not in the group will fail. That being said, anyone could always screenshot or copy/paste, but it is a lot more secure than unlisting a post.

(Felix Freiberger) #5

If you really need a single, private discussion with per-user permissions, a message may be more suitable.
Making a discussion invisible is only meant to reduce exposure without strictly locking it down.