IP Address no longer shown on the Admin > Users Listings

(cpradio) #1

Why did the IP address disappear (on version 1.2.0.beta4)? I see we can filter on it, but now we can’t easily see emerging patterns when we get hit by a few human spammers simultaneously.

Can we get that column back “pretty” please? It is a big problem for a site our size, as we’ll get rounds of 20-30 spam posts every few minutes (for at least an hour) and we need to identify these patterns so we can implement a rollup IP block to limit their activity.

(Mittineague) #2

Of the limited amount of saved data available (~10 days worth of Screened IPs here) these times might help provide some indication.

hour of the day
- - - - - - - - - - -
# of IPs added that hour

0	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9	10	11	12	13	14	15	16	17	18	19	20	21	22	23

8	13	16	4	15	19	14	17	6	7	6	1	2	1	3	2	1	2	2	0	2	3	4	6

i.e. it can get hectic during the wee hours

(Mittineague) #3

Here’s a batch of 5 Profile SPAMmers that would have been a lot more difficult to spot.
The key identifying information other than varied Profile SPAM? (too different to use as strong evidence)
Not member names or similar stats, but similar Email Addresses and the same Registration IP both of which no longer display. :frowning:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I don’t think you guys are on a version new enough to have it, but there is a new “limit number of new users from the same IP, unless a user at that IP is at trust level 2 or staff” setting and it defaults to 3.

(cpradio) #5

True and we will this coming week as that is how we found out IP is now gone.

Still have no idea why it was removed… as the scenario you describe works for those from the same IP (and maybe the last block) but we find several from the last two blocks. How do we roll up IPs (a feature in Discourse) if we can’t establish patterns?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

There is a roll up button now that will identify the patterns and roll up existing ip bans that @zogstrip worked on. So the workflow is delete, delete, delete (one click deletes) then at the end press the roll up button on the admin, logs, ip section.

(cpradio) #7

But I only want to roll up if I see a pattern… If I can’t see the pattern rolling up could be dangerous…

I’ll never blindly click rollup, so unless I see a pattern, I’ll never use the feature.

(Mittineague) #8

In 4 months (going by Id) we have 1565 Screened IPs
of which we can only get at 200 easily (~ 2 weeks worth)
We asked how to be able to get at the rest,
Answer - we need to pester the Admin for CSV exports

OK, not ideal, but workable.

With this list we could write scripts to highlight other IPs based on the likelihood of them also being a problem. i.e. Accounts that are not Ban worthy, but are worth taking a closer look at.

So what happens? they get removed, not only from the display, but from the JSON as well.

OK, with a lot more XHR hopefully that can be worked around.

I am not putting down @zogstrip 's efforts at roll up, It should provide a usable complement to moderation tasks as long as it is used wisely with a sane threshold setting .

But if the reason for their removal was to tidy up the User lists IMHO removing the Last Emailed column makes more sense. Do moderators really care when a member was last sent an email. Interesting stats true, and something the Admin will want to know, but for moderating to not be more difficult, more time consuming, and less efficient, it is much more important to see email addresses and IPs than when a member was last sent an email.

(Kane York) #9

Sounds to me like the interface was never equipped with pagination? Not an easy fix, but…

(Mittineague) #10

TBH I’d be happy with scroll or URL query variables too. Just some way to get at the wealth of information that’s there. (preferably w/o pestering HAWK even though she said she wouldn’t mind)

(cpradio) #11

Which really isn’t great. Because if I’m trying to deal with a potential problem right now, and because our time zones are so far apart, waiting 12 hours to see if there was a pattern just isn’t going to work. Then she is up and I’m asleep, and by the time we finally match up, 24 hours have gone by and my recollection of everything I had done, is gone.

(Kane York) #12

Good news, that’s exactly what I was just writing!

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3062

You’ll have to do some awkward stuff to get at all of them, though. I described what a client is expected to do in the PR.