IP Works but Registered Domain Does Not

(Molly) #1

Immediately, I may have bit off more than I can chew in terms of setting this up by myself, but I want to give it a shot. This will likely be a long post because I want to give the most information I can, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. And again, understand that I’m brand new to this side of things but want to learn. I followed this guide to set up my discourse community on digital ocean.

I cannot get discourse.ghostvolta.com to display my Discourse forum. The IP address, however, works.

I received my activation email and upon clicking it, the page cannot be displayed. The email address that sends my activation email says that it’s from "info@unconfigured.discourse.org" I tried activating it with the IP address in place of the url, but I receive a message that says,

“Sorry, this account confirmation link is no longer valid. Perhaps your account is already active?”

When I try to log in with those credentials, it says that I haven’t bee activated yet. And the vicious cycle continues.

There has to be some issue with DNS I assume, I just don’t know where to find the issue. So I’ll share what I have set up and hope that it’s something easy I overlooked.

My host name was purchased from DreamHost. The subdomain information for discourse.ghostvolta.com on DreamHost looks like this:

I registered discourse.ghostvolta.com on DigitalOcean first. My configuration for that looks like this:

Have I typed something incorrectly? I’m so close and am so eager to use this forum but I don’t know where to go next. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you need further information to help, I’m happy to provide it as well.

(Michael Downey) #2

The WHOIS record for the ghostvolta.com domain still has DNS servers for that domain pointing to ZIPPYKID.COM. You’ll have to update your domain registration information to either use the DreamHost DNS settings or the DigitalOcean DNS settings that you shared here.

Probably best to contact DreamHost for sorting this out. Good luck!

(James Milligan) #3

Is ghostvolta.com owned by you? If so, just add an ‘A’ record on your control panel for the ‘discourse’ subdomain to point to the DigitalOcean IP. You can then remove all the records in DigitalOcean, and remove the NS links in Dreamhost for the ‘discourse’ subdomain. The other records (TXT, MX) can stay though as you need these.

(Molly) #4

It’s a tricky thing, honestly. We registered on DreamHost, then went to zippykid (who is now Pressable), but they only hose WordPress installations. So our main site, ghostvolta.com is hosted there but we’d want the subdomain of discourse.ghostvolta.com to be hosted on DigitalOcean. Does that make sense? The whole process has my head spinning but I feel like I’m close haha.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

The central question is this:

who owns the ghostvolta.com domain name?

Wherever that domain name was purchased from (in Internet terms, this is called your domain name registrar), you need to go there, to that site, and change the DNS entries.

(Michael Downey) #6

You can have your DNS hosted by any of those providers (Pressable, DreamHost, DigitalOcean, whoever) and still have web sites at any or all of them too. But you only “get to” maintain one list of DNS entries. Take your pick, then update your domain registration data (at DreamHost) so the domain knows whose DNS zone file to use. :slight_smile:

Right now, the DreamHost domain registration information is using Pressable for DNS. So you have two options:

1. Change the DNS entries at Pressable.
  2. Change the domain name registration data (at DreamHost) to use DNS services from someone else (such as DreamHost themselves, or DigitalOcean) and check/change the DNS entries at whoever you chose.

(Molly) #7

I appreciate all the responses. I got it squared away. Thank you for explaining it so clearly!

Admittedly, in hindsight, it seems silly that I was having trouble understanding it.

(Jens Maier) #8

DNS is one part IT, one part arcane magics and eight parts utter bureaucracy.

And who can every really understand bureaucracy?