iPad pro makes space for non-existent keyboard

(Carlo Kok) #1

The iPad Pro has a real keyboard, which makes the screen look like:

Obscuring the replies above it needlessly:

(photo:)

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #2

Is that in Mobile Safari only? or does it happen on Google Chrome for iOS too?

Is there a pattern of disconnecting/reconnecting the keyboard that makes Safari realize it can take up the full screen again?

(marc hoffman) #3

Hi.

I haven’t tried Chrome yet; will do. Nothing I do with the keyboard chages the layout in Safari: when I unplug the physical keyboard, the virtual one comes up in the empty portion of the screen; when I reconnect it again ,the virtual one disappears again, but the text field does not move down.

Note that this is not general Safari behavior; I believe there’s special logic in Discourse that “manually” moves the edit section up, to be out of the way of the virtual keyboard, when it detects an iPad (with is good, in general). It’s just that’s that logic should (ideally) not trigger when there’s a physical keyboard.

Ofc I don’t know if this is even something you can detect from the website’s code; if not, maybe the best/only option might be to provide a toggle somewhere for users to disable the special iPad logic (ideally on a per-device basis, not a per account one), or maybe a button to “bring it back down” manually…

—marc

(marc hoffman) #4

Update: exact same behavior in Chrome.

(Sam Saffron) #5

Not needlessly see:

Get Apple to fix this ancient bug, and I can remove the hack from Safari (and chrome which uses WebKit on iOS )

(marc hoffman) #6

Ok, let me call Tim.

While I’m waiting to get him on the phone, any chance you’d be interested in working around the problem so discourse remains useable in spite of what Apple might or might not fix?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

The point is that “fixing” this only addresses a very small audience of people with iPad Pro and keyboard active. I am also fairly sure there is no way for the browser to access this information. Given that I have waited a year for iPad Pro native apps in many cases… I am not optimistic.

(marc hoffman) #8

Jeff,

I hear you, but I’m not sure what your point is. Because this affects so few people, and ties in with An Apple bug, it’s not worth trying to fix it and provide a useable solution for discourse users?

If anything, because it’s so corner case, I assume the chances of Apple fixing this in iOS 10 are slim, which makes it all the more helpful to work around it in discourse?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding…

Thanx,
marc

(Sam Saffron) #9

I already tried contacting tim, it did not work.

I think you are missing the point here, there is no fix. position fixed panels with a textarea are not supported on iOS. You either get to use a composer OR view topic … not both.

Only way to get both would be to insert the composer into the flow of the page, at which point it is no longer a floating composer.

I can not magic a fix for this. :fireworks:

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #10

It seems the next step is to report the issue here:

https://bugreport.apple.com

(Sam Saffron) #11

No idea what will happen but it is reported per:

If you want more traction here @watchmanmonitor @dwarfland I recommend you and all your friends open bugs on this.

For perspective, this was first reported in 2011

Admin > "Change Ownership" dialog whack-a-mole (mobile browser)
(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #12

Bravo @sam!

By posting your bug report, it helps others do the same. Nice!

There’s an entire community who feel the same way, and they might paste their report to

https://openradar.appspot.com/

Then people can use tools like http://www.quickradar.com/ to make reporting faster-er.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Time to do so @sam as that was fixed.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

@sam did some work on this so it should be better, but we’re always assuming the on-screen keyboard is present. There’s no way to detect the presence of the on-screen keyboard in the web browser, sadly.

(Sam Saffron) #15

Even though this topic came first I am closing it in favor of:

Which also happens to have an outlet for you to take it up with Apple, please please do.

If one person mentions something on the Apple bug, well probably nothing will happen, if 100 do, well there we go, we started a movement (also not counting on anything happening but at least we would have a movement).

(Sam Saffron) #16