Is an explainer video being done up for discourse?

(Blu McCormick) #1

I just watched Mastodon’s explainer video. It’s fabulous. Discourse has even more to boast about in my humble opinion in terms of functionality.

We’ve gotten great responses from our own explainer video. If I’ve overstepped in asking this as this is really a management kinda discussion, please say. I’d just like to see Discourse do well and see this as a great way to get the word out, particularly now with the Facebook fiasco.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

Yes, there are videos being worked on. @erlend_sh can share it once it’s ready.

(Blu McCormick) #3

Awesome! Thanks, Joshua.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

We already have mini-videos on the page here

https://www.discourse.org/features

(Blu McCormick) #5

Thanks, Jeff. I see static images on my phone, fyi. Still rocking features, though, that speak for themselves.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

They should look like videos with a playback button, so if you tap that playback button, etc – but I just checked on my iphone and you’re right – no video at all!

Can you check into this @awesomerobot because that definitely feels like a regression to me.

I generally prefer mini animated GIF style feature videos over a giant video that nobody (realistically) is going to sit through.

(Blu McCormick) #7

Yeah, explainer videos are good for launches and drawing people in. Mini videos are good for keeping people engaged while explaining individual features. I found discourse through blogs comparing forum software. Mastadon’s video is great because it explains how they work simply and I’d have watched it if I’d come across it when searching for a platform to use, but I am just one person. If you are getting people behind a movement or novel product and make it snappy it can work. In our case, we show our explainer video to people in meetings with live people and they love it which is a unique use. They are ‘forced’ to sit through it :laughing: but they still dig it.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Well, I think we can all agree that you are rather exceptional in this regard :wink:

(Blu McCormick) #9

Lol. I dunno about that. I can tell you this. Discourse is one of a kind. I don’t know if you’ve been on next door or facebook forums for municipalities. They are pretty horrendous. Whatever you guys are doing, you are doing it right. Focusing on content over people . . . in built moderating . . . motivating rewards . . . flexible set ups . . .

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #10

Well, at this time we’re only using these videos internally in the pre-sales process. The videos are quite crude and merely serve as a proof of concept for more elaborate demoing that we can and hopefully will be doing in the not so distant future.