Is discourse committed to being 100% ruby?

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #1

I was listening to a podcast where @codinghorror said that discourse won’t go down the vanillaforums route where certain parts of the framework will be closed source.

Anyhow, I’m just guessing here, but if a very large site was to use discourse, and scaling became an issue, do you think you might re-write certain parts of the site in another language to speed things up? Since the backend is basically spitting out json, you could always re-write specific endpoints to speed things up.

Just curiuos if something like that is a potential :smile:

Implementing Discourse backend in other languages?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Well, a few of the gems we use are already C or C++ code for speed. Like the JSON serializer.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #3

I was referring to the actual web application part of things, if you might say analyze all the rest api calls, and cherry pick a few of them that have performance issues and re-write them using a different framework.

e.g.

/topics/getLatest => is slow, so you re-write this in something else like IIS/C#.

Can you think of other open-source projects that use a similar model? I feel that splitting the routing like that would be very detrimental in the long term. Key concerns are maintainability, compatibility, and consistency. How would this even be implemented? Nginx proxy voodoo?