Is "Discourse" trademarked?

(Erik Paulsen Skålerud) #1

I’ve seen sites pop up with different kind of names, like discourse-ubuntu.org. Are we free to use the Discourse name in domain names etc. What do the authors feel about this?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Discourse is a dictionary word and a common concept. It should no more be trademarked as a standalone word than the word “forum” itself.

What is discoursehosting.org? (.org not .com)
(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

But it could still be an exclusive trademark for “forum software etc.” same way Apple is a trademark for “computers, computer software, computer peripherals, etc.”.

I always thought the WordPress trademark policy was very sensible. Basically they just want to prevent people from creating official-sounding names that would end up confusing users. I think the same would be a reasonable course of action for Discourse. If someone extended Discourse with some social plugins and created socialdiscourse.com (seems a squatter already got to it), a lot of users, myself included, would be wondering whether that site was official or not.

Domains for sale
(Erik Paulsen Skålerud) #4

Yeah, you pretty much pinpointed what I was really trying to say. Like if I wanted to start a “Discourse Motors” site, with a similar kind of domain name…