Is is possible to log in as system?

(Joshua Frank) #1

I want to make announcements and introductory posts as the system user, so they seem more authoritative and from my organization, not just me personally. I’ve found that posting as me and changing the owner leaves behind traces of my presence, so now I’m wondering if I can’t just log in as system when I want to create a system topic.

(Jacob) #2

Yeah you can just impersonate the system user and post as normal.

(Joshua Frank) #3

I don’t think you can impersonate the system user. I see the button for all other users, but for system, my admin screen has no such button:

See how there’s no Impersonate button where the red circle is?

(Jacob) #4

Set DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS to your email address and you’ll be able to impersonate the system user.

discourse/INSTALL-digital-ocean.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Joshua Frank) #5

Yikes, I’m using a hosted solution at discoursehosting.net and I doubt I have access to that file. I’ll ask, but is there any other way to accomplish this?

(Jacob) #6

You could always just make an account called Administrator or something along those lines and change site contact username in the settings so all the automated messages come from that account.

(Joshua Frank) #7

That makes sense. I’ll try it. Thanks.

(Joshua Frank) #8

Well, maybe that will cause a lot of confusion, to have two different system-looking users. I guess I need to think about this further.

(Jacob) #9

I think it’s confusing posting as the system to begin with. You should try out the new Staff Post feature.

(Joshua Frank) #10

A Staff Post is a normal post, but with a different highlight color. In particular, the author would still be me. I need a way to post AS the system user.

(Jacob) #11

I understand that. I was just suggesting staff post because posting as the system user doesn’t make much sense to me.

(Joshua Frank) #12

I want to post as the
system to make announcements that seem to come from the system,
not me. My users are, initially at least, much more identified
with the organization than they are with me, because I’m just an
admin and most of them don’t know who I am (yet).

(Mittineague) #13

Do you want them to not know you are the Admin?

(Joshua Frank) #14

No, that would be fine,
and when I answer a specific question, I want to do is as myself.
But I don’t want things like the Welcome and Tutorial posts to be
authored by me, but rather by the system itself.

On 9/12/2014 11:30 PM, Mittineague wrote:

Mittineague September 12

Do you want them to not know you are the Admin?

To respond, reply to this email or visit https://meta.discourse.org/t/is-is-possible-to-log-in-as-system/19943/13 in your browser.

Previous Replies

joshfrank September 12

I want to post as the system to make announcements that seem to come from the system, not me. My users are, initially at least, much more identified with the organization than they are with me, because I'm just an admin and most of them don't know who I am (yet).

To respond, reply to this email or visit https://meta.discourse.org/t/is-is-possible-to-log-in-as-system/19943/13 in your browser.

To unsubscribe from these emails, visit your user preferences.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

There are problems with your email replies. What email client are you using?

(Joshua Frank) #16

Yikes, I see what you mean. I’m using Thunderbird 24.6.0 for Windows. I have the full text and headers of the email that I sent. What is Discourse looking for in the forwarded email, so I can see what’s wrong with it?

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Great maybe just send the full email with headers in a text file to team@discourse.org!