Is it possible to adjust the amount of topics loaded at once for infinite scrolling?

(se oli tonnin seteli) #1

Apparently on mobile some of my users have had trouble skimming through a topic when the site pauses to load more posts all too often. I’ve noticed similar problems with other sites that have implemented infinite scrolling, and it is quite annoying.

I would prefer to be able to adjust how many posts are initially loaded, perhaps even set that the whole topic would be displayed if there were less than twenty or even thirty posts or something similar to that, and also how many topics are loaded when reaching the end of displayed posts.

During my commute there are a couple of places where connection is lost, and connection loss is almost unbearably common when travelling long distances by train around here, so this would probably help a lot in those situations.

Any suggestions?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

On Android, you will literally cripple devices if you load 30 or more posts at once. Would be ok on iOS for the most part. We do not allow control of this because people set it to values that cause a catastrophically bad user experience. Which we get blamed for.

Search for Android and slow here if you wish to learn more.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Update, this is far less dangerous as of Discourse 1.5 and later, but I would think long and hard about old, crappy Android devices before raising this setting too high.

(se oli tonnin seteli) #4

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

In my case old devices are not a problem though. I think that if we’re talking topics that contain mostly text (our cat picture topic is sluggish already so I do understand your point quite well…) it would be nice if more posts were loaded at once, or if this value would be somehow adjustable to better suit site’s topic content in general.

PS. I just noticed that I kept confusing topic and post in the original post, even in the topic title, sorry about that…