Is S3 migration from DiscourseHosting an option?

(Kim) #1

tl;dr below: Basically the with files compression vastly exceeds what’s practical to transfer onto the new hosting service so I’m curious if there’s even an option to transfer to S3.

I’ve been trying to do a migration via Backup (if there’s a better way to do it, please tell me) and run into an issue where I uploaded the backup file (22.3 gig) and then attempted to restore.

This has resulted in the system claiming there is no space on the 75 gig allocated and left me quite confused since most of this space seems to be need to make… another copy of the backup file before unzipping it?

What’s the best process for restoring this devoured space (Ubuntu 16.04) and are there any extra steps I should take with doing a restore for a backup file this size?

Alternatively, is there a way to migrate all the uploaded files to S3 when you’re using DiscourseHosting and then I’ll do a database transfer and rebake? (Unless that has problems I’m not aware of)

Edit: Okay, manually went in - killed and removed the docker container then rebuilt and now I seem to have the ~43 gig back… reattempting restoration… okay, found the core problem… compression was WAY more effective than anticipated.

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #2

I’m not sure what you’re trying to do. Are you moving to us or away from us? Can you please contact us through our support form or PM me with details?