Is there a simple way to randomize the topic list?

(Pad Pors) #1

the reason to do this is to shuffle 50-70 recent topics in the list so that all of them have the chance to be seen equally.

does anyone know how to handle this in the right way?

(Régis Hanol) #2

Not sure why you would want to do that but that would require a plugin and some monkey patching.

(Pad Pors) #3

hmmm, at the moment there exist the suggested topics code, can’t it be limited to only some recent topics (70 last ones) and be used as the last algorithm?

the reason is to increase the chance of visiting recent posts without the need to scroll down.
each time i go back to the homepage from a topic, i need to scroll down to the position i was and find more topics. while if it was shuffled the next time, i could have seen other recent posts easier.

(Régis Hanol) #4

Why don’t you use the suggested topics list then? It prioritise unread/new topics.

(Pad Pors) #5

you mean as the way it exists now at the end of each topic page or instead of the latest filter in the homepage?

as the way it exists now, i limited the number of suggested topics to 1, since i’m using the topic-excerpt plugin, and it shows the excerpt also for suggested topics, and it’ll be a mess to have several suggested topics with their excerpt in each inner page.

i’d like to use it instead of the latest filter in the homepage, but it just came to my mind now, and i’m still not sure how to implement this!

(Régis Hanol) #6

Adding a “suggested” option to the top menu isn’t a bad idea. But it might become a performance issue since the suggested topic list is quite ressource intensive.

(Pad Pors) #7

hmmm, this was the algorithm, why isn’t it working bad in the topic-pages? is it because of the number of suggested posts there, is limited to 4-5s?

if so, then can’t it use this algorithm only for the initial posts and simply randomize the next few ones?

(Dean Taylor) #8

Related:I’ve suggested previously that the “suggested topics” random part of the list might be best generated by a background task to improve user experience: