Is there a user manual, or a list of (all) features?
- For new users (especially new wannabe power users) who want to know what they can do with the software
- For potential users (before they’ve decided to use/choose Discourse), who want to evaluate the product
I found no in-site “Help” pages. The closest I’ve found is the home page at [http] discourse.org/ and the FAQ page at [http] What is Discourse? | Discourse - Civilized Discussion
Topics for post-sale users could include things like:
- How to search
- How to moderate
- How to categorize topics
Something for pre-sale evaluation could be a list of features. Some products do a competitive evaluation matrix, for example like this one: Comparison of Internet forum software - Wikipedia
The matrix of features is where you can say, “Other products support some of these features (although sometimes not as well), but look at us: we support all them!” (or, “we’re different!”)
You needn’t research the features of competing products for me, but I’d like you to document the list of your own features / own functionality.
There’s a partial list of features at [http] The Road to Discourse 1.0 but that doesn’t tell me what the ‘base’ features are that were implemented in the February 2013 ‘launch’,
The Git commit log/history isn’t a plausible/convenient way to reverse-engineer the functional specification.
I also haven’t seen a road-map (list of unimplemented, planned, possible future features).
The About page at What is Discourse? | Discourse - Civilized Discussion says …
- Other forums have an old-fashioned UI
- StackExchange is for Q+A not conversations
… but doesn’t explain how Discourse is better or different. It claims …
- All the sociological and technical lessons of 10+ year old forum communities baked into the design of the software.
- Sane, safe out of the box defaults, but a million dials and knobs to tweak.
Where or what are the details:
- What is the design of the software, which demonstrates/implements these baked-in lessons?
- What are the ‘million’ dials and knobs to tweak (and the defaults)?