Is there a way to make Categories visible but not posts in the categories?

(Dave Mackey) #1

So, I’d like for people to be able to see the categories that are available at my closed forum, but not to be able to see the posts within the category. This way they can see what we talk about (subjects) but not the individual material without being registered. Is this currently possible?

Make a "locked" category visible (on the list of choices) to non-members?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

No, this is not possible at the moment.

(Krischan) #3

Hi, is this still not possible? I think it could be a good incentive for aspiring users to show the places they would have access to, if they do / accomplish x.

Is it the same with closed categories or is there a way to show them without making the posts available?

Thanks!

Likewise the above. Currently setting up my community and intend adding categories for Clubs and Societies.

Therefore:

I’d like to be able to show folks that these club categories exist, without also showing them the club’s private discussions.

(David Kwan) #5

The only way I can think of doing this is creating a parent category that is visible to all users and then within it, create a sub-category that is only access to specific users. This wouldn’t be ideal since they would have to click twice to gain access to the actual category but at least I would still get every user to see the parent category.

Is there any other way?