Is there a way to @ message the whole "moderation team"?

moderation
admin

I’m looking to make it easy for my users to get the attention of anyone on the mod team. Flagging isn’t the right mechanism as it carries a negative connotation. I’m hoping there is a way to @ message a group and all of them will get the notification?

Ex:

Hey, I have this really cool idea. @mods what do you think?

(Sam) #2

You can message entire groups - go to the group admin page and select the appropriate “Who can use this group as an alias?” option to activate the option for a particular group.

It’s a little sloppy in that it just autoexpands say @Staff into an @ for everyone in the group, but it works.

(Stephanie Daugherty) #3

A word of warning. many, but certainly not all of the cases for this seem to go against the spirit of the software and the (default) community guidelines:

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior
by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

There’s a bit of an anti-pattern in community interaction in many online communities. It goes something like this:

User A: insert random against the TOS offensive behavior and/or insults here
User B: REPORTED!!!

This is bad behavior in and of itself and is toxic to a community. The only people on a site who should ever publicly confront anyone on a site are the site’s moderators, and even then, only sparingly, and usually to address a larger problem.

It seems to me that for something like this you would want to message the admins, not the moderators.

(Logan Mathews) #5

I think keeping @Mods being @Mods instead of including all 5, 10, 15 members of the ‘Mods’ group with their own individual @s seems like a great space saving suggestion.

I could see some practical uses for this as long as the UI keeps a means of restricting who can reference specific @'s.

To follow your example of

Hey, I have this really cool idea. @mods what do you think?

Ugh, allowing people to reference staff because of an ‘idea’ on a large forum would be the stuff made of nightmares. Everyone thinks they have a ‘killer’ idea and the @mods or whoever will simply get in the habit of ignoring the notices due to the frequency of them. In these situations, encouraging users to post ideas in a suggestion forum is a far wiser idea.

Now, allowing certain groups the ability to reference groups sounds like a great means of providing an escalation process.

(Tom Newsom) #6

The auto-expand works ok, but having seen it in action for a while, I think the worst thing is that it’s not discoverable. You never see someone else type @staff because you only ever see the expanded list of staff members. Without being explicitly told about the feature, you’d never know it exists.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

You mean just for feedback on the forum, not indicating a problem of any kind? Create a public topic in the built in Feedback category, that is what it is for.