Is there a way to resend the "Welcome to Discourse" intro PM?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

I feel like this has come up before but I couldn’t find what I was looking for.

We’ve just migrated our entire legacy forum to Discourse. Since Discourse is a rather different beast than what we were previously using, I think a lot of our users would greatly benefit from the “Welcome to {ForumName}” introductionary that you get on every other Discourse forum when you’ve just signed up. However since they’re not technically new users, it appears this message has not been sent to any of them.

How do I send this PM to all existing (21k) users?

(Dave McClure) #2

I would recommend just making a public topic with that info, and then a banner topic linking to it.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Thing is we wanna make a banner-topic to announce the overall migration and what changes that involves.

But I guess I can just link to a separate “Welcome to Discourse” topic there there, fair enough.

(Dave McClure) #4

Congrats on the migration by the way! Been planning this a long time now!

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Lol, literally for years. Thanks :cake:

(Dave McClure) #6

The only other alternative I can think is to export your user list and mass-email it to them via mailchimp or what have you.

(Theron Boerner) #7

If you have a testing instance setup, try doing something like:

User.find_each {|user| user.enqueue_welcome_message('welcome_user')}

Send welcome message to imported/migrated users
(Ben M) #8

I’m in the same post-migration situation.

Any alternative to get this same behaviour if I only have a production setup?

(Kane York) #9

Well, running the code if it’s correct would produce the desired behavior. That’s why he mentioned a testing setup.

How to actually run it is covered :arrow_right: here :arrow_left:

(Theron Boerner) #10

I ran that command in a test instance and it appeared to work. It should all be good.

(Ben M) #11

I ran it from the production rails console and no emails were sent.