Is there an easy way to link to categories?

(Iszi) #1

On StackExchange sites, we can point to tags by using e.g. [tag:feature-request] to make a link like this:

I haven’t seen a similar function available, for categories, here. Is there something I’ve missed? If this isn’t available now, are there plans to add it?

(Sam Saffron) #2

I talked about the idea of a mini onebox, then you could paste 301 Moved Permanently and get the pretty link automatically.

I think that would be the best first step here, cause requires less ninja skills to remember special markdown.

(Iszi) #3

Less “ninja skills” I suppose, but it is so much more convenient to just be able to naturally type [cat:support] instead of having to step out to copy/paste (or just remember and type out) the URL.

Mini onebox sounds cool, but it would be great if the Markdown support could be put on the to-do list somewhere as well.

(sparr) #4

Could all oneboxes optionally have a short form? http://www.foobar.org/content/baz and [ob:foobar:baz] could both produce the same onebox

(Robbie Straw) #5

I would love something like the @-symbol support, but for categories.

For example: the # symbol might link to categories. It’s natural, doesn’t interrupt the flow of writing your post, and optionally we could add auto-complete support.

So you’d start typing #cat and it would pop up a list with “category-a, category-b, cat-pictures, etc.”

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Not a bad idea since thematically categories here are a good match to hashtags on Twitter, e.g. #bostonbombing, though I am not really a fan of them there due to the 140 char restriction.

(James Cook) #7

I was just about to post a similar question.

Is this something that anybody has thought about further?

I find myself wanting to link to different categories quite often, and having to open another tab to copy/paste the link is not a very friendly UX.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Well, the format is /c/categoryname now (it wasn’t in 2013…) so it’s not so hard to type, really.

(Caue Rego) #11

So simply typing /c/feature will work? Or is it [/c/feature]? Oh, you meant [whatever](/c/feature), I see.

It’d still be great if @drbawb simply typing #feature would work, though! :stuck_out_tongue:

( in case this is ever implemented in the future, let’s see if it’s backward compatible! #feature )

(Régis Hanol) #12

It’s been implemented a while ago using the #<categoryname> syntax.

@cregox foresaw it :wink:

(Régis Hanol) #13