Is there any left or right sidebar option in Discourse

(Siraj Mahmood) #1

Same like other forums, left or right sidebar exist to put widgets or banner ads etc
There is any sidebar option in discourse because Still I saw only one column in discourse.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

No such thing exists I’m afraid, and it’s not on the immediate roadmap.

(Siraj Mahmood) #3

Oops!
So where we can stick our banners in discourse.
Sound scary because discourse have only two places top and bottom of the post where we can stick banners instead of these, there are no further way.
Is there any widget in discourse, if yes then please mention the name for convenience.

(Markus) #4

Maybe it’s time to reinvent the business modell of advertisers at the Adblock age. Spoken for myself, it’s pretty annoying to visit pages with ads and several trackers. I don’t wanna be the product and most commonly I avoid those ones who are disturbing me again and again.

If there is any kind of community with a real life benefit of knowledge base, so I could imagine other payment modells like micro payments after an contingent of free views, replies, uploads, read time per day or premium features like native apps, special imformation access.

Ads itselfs are the most ugly welcome present to every user. It’s like going through the streets and having people all around, asking you to buy something crappy.

(Siraj Mahmood) #5

@terraboss Probably
But if someone want to start a community along earn revenue so this is not a bad decision.
Ads banner are pretty good, pop ups ads are buleshit. Thank YOU!

(Markus) #6

I give some example of a German popular tech news website, I’ve been blocking: With ads; and without.

You have to imagine, that you’re users are willing to come back if the knowledge you provide is interesting for them. Actually, the ROI with real information is about 25% of this upper page. And this is a news portal! Sometimes they have ads that full fill nearly everything with color and flash banners. It’s so dam horrible. But they are an important in German tech-news channel.

If I’m going to participate into a community portal, they have to provide at least 80% of window size with information. Otherwise I’m looking for better communites. You should keep looking why Jeff is explicitly providing text ads and no banners at all for e.g. stack overflow. There were some quite interesting interview, I guess.

Last but not least, it isn’t worth at all. The money they pay you are mostly sub-cents per view and cents per click. No one could feed a family with a couple of hundert dollars / euros. You should have a look for real business models:

1. “Sponsoring” (with an extra site listing them) / maybe with non-profit status
  2. Software as a Service (combining with real products & services) like Formlabs
  3. Knowledge base with premium services / quota for free users

Best

(Siraj Mahmood) #7

@terraboss
Thank you brother :wink:

(Wes Osborn) #8

If you’re looking to include ads on your forum, you might want to check:

https://meta.discourse.org/search?q=ads%20plugins

(Siraj Mahmood) #9

@wesochuck Thank you for your reply.
Can you please tell me these plugin are free or premium?
And how we can install these plugin in default discourse?

(Alan Tan) #10

Check out the individual plugin topics to see if they are free.

How to Configure Domain name in Digital Ocean to Connect with Discourse