Is there any way to 'ignore' a new topic?

(Kevin P. Fleming) #1

At the moment meta.discourse.org is showing that I have 18 new topics; I’ve looked over the list, and I don’t want to read any of them. If I read them to make them disappear from the ‘new’ list, I’ll be tracking them, and they’ll start showing up in my ‘unread’ list when new posts are made in them. If I don’t read them, they stay on the ‘new’ list for some period of time, making it hard to find actual new topics that appear later. On a busy site, where the ‘new’ list might have 25 or 50 threads, this could be quite impractical to deal with.

It’s certainly possible that I could try to remember how old the most-recently-active ‘new’ thread is, and when I come back only look at even newer threads, but this doesn’t really fit with how Discourse tries to help the user have a good experience.

Is there any existing feature I can apply to improve this situation?

(Kevin P. Fleming) #2

OK, correction: reading the thread won’t put it on my Tracking list (unless I reply, of course), so I could just go into each thread long enough to get Discourse to stop thinking that it’s ‘new’ to me and then go back to the list. Not ideal, but not awful.

(Brentley Jones) #3

You can set the tracking to “regular” or “mute” when viewing the topic. You can also change your settings for what is considered “new” in your user presences (as well as how long before it considers it “tracked”).

(Brentley Jones) #4

I believe multi-select is coming in the future, allowing you to perform actions like this from the topic list.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #5

OK, so ‘new since I was here last’ might be helpful, although I tend to keep a tab open on meta all day long, so I’m not sure how ‘here last’ would be determined. This is one case where I’d be happy to take an explicit action to indicate that I I don’t plan to read or participate in this group of threads. Having them all in ‘Regular’ tracking mode (the default) is fine, because if someone mentions me in one of them then of course I’d like to be notified of it.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

As @Ajarn noted, this is another request for “let me select a bunch of topics and take some action on them.” We need it, it is coming, can’t say exactly when. Not totally urgent yet.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

We now have the “Dismiss Unread” button on the unread page, and the “Dismiss New” button on the new page, for this reason!

(Jeff Atwood) #8