Issues setting up new topic via email

I am using Mailgun to handle emails for my discourse installation, and I am wondering what additional steps I need to take to set up the post to category via email feature. I have followed the instructions in Start a New Topic via Email ✉, and tried to use reply+category-slug@domain as the custom email address, but got a Status: 5.1.0 error when I tried to post via email.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Nick

1 Like

Have you set up reply via email yet?

2 Likes

Yes, and reply via email works fine. Also, I have manual polling enabled.

1 Like

Are you seeing emails come into Discourse via Admin > Emails > Received?

3 Likes

I’d recommend setting up repy-by-mail this way: Straightforward direct-delivery incoming mail

1 Like

Well, I was, until I switched to Mailgun a week ago! I’ve just checked, and no emails are listed in Admin > Emails > Received for the last week. But reply to email seems to still be working OK, and new posts have been created.

1 Like

You probably broke something in your incoming MX records.

1 Like

I have set the MX records in Digital Ocean as follows, as per the instructions on the Mailgun website. Is this what you are referring to?

1 Like

And how have you configured mailgun to handle incoming mail for forum.open-dialogue.net? Is it accepting it and forwarding it to whatever mailbox used to be receiving it? You probably should have left whatever you had there before.

And what you had before was probably forum.open-dialogue.net with any priority. You need to delete the Mailgun records and add back the one that points to your server.

3 Likes

Thanks Jay. It works now! So, I don’t need the use the MX records for Mailgun then? Meaning that Mailgun will just handle the outgoing mail from the forum?

2 Likes

You are correct, sir.

2 Likes

OK, thanks again Jay.

2 Likes