Issues with my Android Users

(Joseph Iwok) #1

Hello, this is a very serious issue for me as about 75% of my users are accessing the site with a low-end Android device given that this is what majority of the demography can afford.

Many cannot sign up and for some others are complaining of how long it takes a page to load. Please is there anything I can do in this regard to make the site more mobile-friendly for these users. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

(Sam Saffron) #2

Where is this site located? Where are you hosting the site?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Also some info on device models and browser versions would be helpful.

(Joseph Iwok) #4

I am hosting with Digital Ocean as recommended. It is a site for Nigerian students.

Most users are on the Android platform and the popular brands here are Tecno and Infinix.
Opera Mini is also the major browser here and few also use UC Browser.

The Android OS of the last complaint was 4.2.2

I had replied earlier from my mail but it was not reflected here.

(Dylan) #5

Do you have a CDN? Would be helpful to have a CDN with a location closer to your users, as well as if DO offers servers in an area closer to them.

Doing so will usually give quite a speed / performance boost. For example, if you’re hosting it in a Dallas datacenter for people in Nigeria, with no CDN, no pagespeed improvements – they’ll notice a significant page load time compared to having a server close to them with a CDN (Cloudflare is a free option, or Fastly if you’re willing to pay a bit).

Also another option you may want to look into is using @sam’s minimal theme, it shaves about 20-25% off the page load time in my pagespeed tests.

It likely would be best for you to try to get them all to use Google Chrome browser on their android phones as a general way to increase performance. I’m not 100% sure about the performance for android devices and Discourse, so it’d be good to wait for the others to give more specific recommendations on what browser to use.

(Mittineague) #6

Based on what I’ve seen at MDN and caniuse when checking various HTML, JavaScript and CSS browser support - Opera Mini is the one that very often lacks support.

Version 4.2.2 is quite old already, but I imagine there isn’t any way to force people to get newer.

Tough place to be in. Using a modern application with a target audience still in the past.
But if you can get them to at least get a better browser and you do what you can to trim Discourse it should help.

(Joseph Iwok) #7

Thanks for the replies so far, working on getting a CDN and currently checking out the theme suggested.

(Dean Taylor) #8

If data saving is what your users are after from Opera Mini…
… then consider pointing them in the direction of Google Chrome with the “Data Saver” option turned on:
https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/data-compression

Keep in mind:

Data compression proxy operates on non-encrypted traffic: HTTPS requests are sent directly from your device to the destination server.

Personally I’ve not used this - but have heard good things.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #9

I use Google Chrome data compression for http request and it’s quite good!

I get to save 10% of my total traffic.

(Joseph Iwok) #10

Thank you, I will work on these solutions suggested and be optimistic for improvements. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #11

My top three suggestions

1. Host as close as possible to where your users will be. If you can do only one thing, do this.

2. Use a CDN that has POP presence near you (if possible, if you get a server very close to you per #1 this may not be needed)

3. Use Google Chrome, latest version with Settings > Data Saver enabled as needed

(Michael Downey) #12

Unfortunately CDN coverage throughout Africa is virtually non-existent, so far.

(Dylan) #13

Cloudflare has a couple locations there currently, they are planning a few more IIRC. Seems to be the only one with some presence in the area, but others have planned locations there.