It's really hard to navigate the Create Topic / Reply pane with the keyboard

(Peter Jaros) #1

A few related things here, let me know if they need breaking out:

• I can’t figure out how to tab to the Category dropdown. I expect it to come after the title, but tabbing from the title goes directly to the post body.

• Tabbing from the post body goes…somewhere. I’m not sure where. Wherever it is, it needs a focus style. Tabbing a few more times takes me to more mystery places which I can’t locate because they don’t have focus styles.

• It would also be nice if Cmd-Return / Ctrl-Enter from the post body was “Create Topic”/“Reply”. That’s become pretty conventional: Gmail and GitHub both use it.

(Régis Hanol) #2

Definitely a bug. It should tab to the Reply button.

I’ll see if I can add it to our keyboard shortcuts :wink:

(jon r) #3

I’m also missing the functionality to submit a text via Ctrl - Return as I’m used to it from email clients.

(Kane York) #4

You’d probably have to treat it specially, then - all it should do is call a single .click() on the reply button.

Hmm, that has problems too -

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Good point. Here’s what the keyboard tab order should be @zogstrip, for sure

After tab #5 (cancel) I don’t think it’s reasonable to request that the tab be on anything specific.

Can you name any other websites where this works? Does it work in GMail?

(jon r) #6

Yes, GMail does it.
Facebook does it too in the messaging interface, if you disable automatic submit by “Enter”. Just tried it.

I will look up others, if requested.

(Peter Jaros) #7

It works all over GitHub as well (both Cmd-Enter and Ctrl-Enter).

(Kane York) #8

It actually took quite a while for them to get it working - they had problems with double-submissions, the spinner appearing but never finishing, etc.

I have sent several support tickets in the past, but I think they’ve got it all sorted :wink:

(Wes Osborn) #9

Trello cards are another website that function with Cmd-Enter and Ctrl-Enter. Our HelpDesk application (Jitbit) is another example.

(Jeff Atwood) #10