Just Got Discourse Up and Running! Trouble Getting Email Setup

(jcan) #1

Hello everyone.
I just got discourse up and running on my server, and I’m very excited.

The only problem I’ve run into is with setting up the email side of things.

I used this guide to set everything up:
Deploy Discourse on Digital Ocean using Docker

You can view the Discourse at growingbroward.net

When I register and account with my email (admin@growingbroward.net) everything seems to work, but I never get the confirmation email. I guess I didn’t set things up correctly in my app.yml file. I’m trying to use Mandrill to handle emails.

A screenshot of my app.yml file.

(Michael Downey) #2
  • Did you set up a unique Mandrill API key for Discourse? If so, did
    you double check that it’s correct in your app.yml?
  • Do you see anything in your Mandrill dashboard? (Outbound -> Activity
    menu)

(jcan) #4

I generated an API key. It’s correctly typed into the yml file.
I just came across this post and I see you mentioned the ‘quotes’ issue there. I tried that and rebuilt. Hopefully that’s all I goofed up.

Thanks for the help!

(jcan) #5

Still haven’t gotten things to cooperate…
Could this be an issue with how I set up DKIM and SPF with Mandrill?

I’m getting “SPF missing” in my Sending Domains list

Here are the current DNS settings for my domain.

(Michael Downey) #6

You’ll probably want to work with Mandrill support on that. They can help get your DNS settings working well with Mandrill first.

(jcan) #7

I just contacted Mandrill. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. I also confirmed that my email forwarding is working with my domain provider.

Should I try generating a new API key? I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff.

(Michael Downey) #8

Did you ever see anything in your outgoing mail activity in your Mandrill dashboard? Ideally you’d see the each message generated by Discourse listed there, and the outcome of how it was delivered.

I couldn’t say for sure, but if you don’t see anything there, then it’s not reaching Mandrill from Discourse. But they should be able to troubleshoot more.

DKIM and SPF are more related to the recipient of your message, and the likelihood of it ending up in their spam folder, rejected by their e-mail provider, etc.

(jcan) #9

You know what?
My API key has what looks like “AINP”, with a capitol i. I just pasted it into another text editor and it’s actually a lower-case L… :\
I don’t know if I should feel stupid or just annoyed… Either way, I’m rebuilding with the correct API key, geez

Update:
Yup! That was it…
MANDRILL! FIX YOUR TYPEFACE!!!

(Jeff Atwood) #10