Keyboard Shortcut k/j doesn't work on Categories page

keyboard

(TechnoBear) #1

k/j moves the selection up/down within a topic, or within a category, but doesn’t work for moving between categories on the home page, or for navigating drop-down menus.

(Sam Saffron) #2

To me the big show stopper is the way it gets stuck at the end of a topic and does not move to Suggested topics.

Also confirm its not yet implemented on Categories - Discourse Meta

(cpradio) #3

Were you asking it to be confirmed, or did you confirm it? As I just tried it there too, and it definitely doesn’t do anything on the Categories page.

(Sam Saffron) #4

yes, does not do anything yet on categories page, will leave this open until categories page is implemented.

Note, j/k no longer gets stuck :slight_smile:

(cpradio) #5

Let’s discuss this further, so I know how to fix it. What are the expectations? J/K should move and show the selected parent category? What about sub-categories? Should tabbing be required to access the sub-category, sub-topic list, activity data, etc?

(Sam Saffron) #6

It is very hard to design something that works in an intuitive way there.

The trivial design could be.

j/k … moves between categories
press tab on category, j/k moves between subcategories
press tab again, j/k moves between topics.

(cpradio) #7

Yeah, that’s definitely a trivial approach. One thing that may be smart here is to start simple, j/k moves between parent categories with focus moving along with it (so tabbing starts within each category. Next phase/enhancement would be to add j/k support through sub-categories, and ultimately topic list (when in focus).

Definitely doable, but I think minor improvements over time here could be a good (get the big issue taken care of, then move on to improving it).

(Sam Saffron) #8

@eviltrout this is probably worth fixing if easy, cause many use the hybrid category/topics page as home page and j/k is totally bust there.

(Ryan Erwin) #9

For me, on both meta and on my own Discourse installs the j/k keyboard navigation is still not working on the categories page.

This would be great!