Known business or corporate use cases of Discourse?

(ljpp) #1

I will soon meet a bunch of business men and entrepreneurs and we will be discussing about the potential of web communities for their companies, in public or internal usage. It would be nice to know about some references or use cases where Discourse has been utilized.

I recall there was a .PPT floating around, how Blizzard replaced emails support with Discourse, but that is the only one I am aware of. But these are the type of cases I would love to learn about.

Does anyone know any other good examples?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Generally the customers page and our “partners” on our blog

http://blog.discourse.org/category/partners/

You are thinking of DICE and the Frostbite engine used in the Battlefield series of games, by the way.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #3

And here’s the post you were referring too - unfortunately it seems the link no longer resolves fully. Seems I didn’t scroll down enough. Here’s the new link.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #4

It is here:

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=13C7F43F0E66E7F8&resid=13C7F43F0E66E7F8!137&authkey=AKV_jIFbU4a0lDE&em=2&wdAr=1.7777777777777777

And make me smile everytime :heart:

(Alexander Wright) #5

I’ve recently installed Discourse for our members at the Campaign for Real Ale.

It’s integrated into our membership system using OAuth for logins.

(ljpp) #6

Ah, wrong game house. My mind was unintentionally blocking the Swedes. Thanks.

Yes, I know the Discourse Hall Of Fame, the Twitters and Dockers. However, they represent the “classic” use case of putting a community as an interface in between a company and the audience.

What I had in mind was the “unorthodox” use cases. Some are apparently using Discourse just to replace mailing lists, I have locally had discussions regarding the usage as a small team communication platform (Slack, Yammer etc alternative). So I am trying to figure out all kinds of applications of Discourse. It is fantastic software, as you can really use it for 5 people or 5 million people and both scenarios work well.

The people I am meeting represent different kinds of businesses. I will be joined by a guy from a publicly listed company, couple of consultants that also do web coaching/courses, and one guy who offers webinar/coaching tools as a service. And we are discussing the potential of Discourse (and web communities in general) for their businesses.

And if anything comes out of these discussions, there is potential for new Discourse Hosting customers, depending on whether I feel like spending time on the hosting, or purely focusing on the configuration and administration.