Landing page with integrated login/signup

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #1

If you have your discourse installed using the standard subdomain:

discourse.example.com

Now on your root URL you want a splash page that also have login/signup links + a redirect to the subdomain if the user is currently logged in.

Is there currently a recommended path to take on this type of scenario?

Another “problem” I see is that the default installation has nginx setup on the disourse container that uses port 80, so you would really have to re-work things to run another process that hosts the root domain application.

My initial thought is it would be better to create some sort of a ‘splash page’ plugin.

Thoughts?

(Adnan) #2

You could stop ngnix and let discourse finish installation, after that ngnix should automatically pick up a port other than 80. I’m sure there might be a better method, this worked for me.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #3

I would have to disable nginx in the container, install nginx on the VM and route requests over to the exposed container port (which would have to be changed from port 80/80).

The thing that bothers me is that this is a pretty simple modification so it should really be done in the existing install as a plugin. All it the requirements are really is it being a landing page with login/signup that somehow uses discourses login/signup. The only issue is the login/signup are not stand-alone pages but popup within the emberjs app.