Last post versus seen timestamps

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #1

I was looking at @codinghorror profile page and it says last post 1 hour and last seen 5 hours. How exactly would this be possible? Is the ‘last seen’ not updating if you post via mobile possibly or reply by email?

(PJH) #2

Last post being, e.g, the last time something happened on one of his posts, like someone Liking it?

Just a guess.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #3

I wasn’t questioning what they mean, I thought that was pretty clear just how it is possible to post something but not be ‘seen’ posting it :smile:

(PJH) #4

That’s the thing (if I’m right) - he didn’t post anything. Someone else did something with one of his posts that he’d posted a lot earlier. Probably the wording needs changing.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #5

If that is the issue then it is a bug. It is suppose to indicate when the user who’s profile you are viewing last posted. Knowing when the someone else did something to the users post isn’t really interesting.

(PJH) #6

Look at the stream of posts beneath the user and it’ll probably indicate what’s happening…

Example - other active mod over ours:

(Remind me - why do Admins automatically get to see email addresses there? I almost posted that screencap un-redacted!)

Last online 6th, apparently. Last matching 8th:

An @mention.

Staff should not see user profile email addresses without a click
(Sam Saffron) #7

If you reply via email, we can not consider you seen, what if the email was in the internet tubes for 6 hours, which is totally possible.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

I agree, this works as intended.

If one of my staff members just e-mailed in a reply, I’d assume he’s probably only up to date on whatever threads he’s subscribed to.

Whereas if he’s been seen, chances are he’s had a chance to get up to speed on all the latest updates.