Latest Version Bug?

(James North) #1

Hi All,

Not a big deal, but I have a couple of forums that are close to latest version, but the admin panel reports that I’m behind a full beta release, despite telling me I’m up to date?

I don’t think I’ve missed anything - did something go wrong with the numbering system?

if you view source on your forum what version shows - current release is 1.8.0beta6

For example the source on here states:

<meta name="generator" content="Discourse 1.8.0.beta6 - https://github.com/discourse/discourse version b20b568039ca83334ab0eb5354ec47728b61fded">

(Andrew Waugh) #3

Both my sandbox and our live site have shown the same inconsistency for 3-4 days iirc.

(Stefano Costa) #4

I have the same issue and I diagnosed it as caused by the Docker devicemapper storage driver being unsupported:

(I still haven’t had the time to migrate my forum to a newer host)

EDIT: see the correct identification of the issue and the solution:

(James North) #5

Yep in the source html it outputs it’s telling me I’m on beta 6

<meta name="generator" content="Discourse 1.8.0.beta6

Interesting - I have no other errors during launch or in the log file suggesting this…

(Andrew Waugh) #6

I’m still seeing the mismatch, after various upgrades via the GUI, as well as rebuilds in the CLI.

Could this be related to the fact that the latest docker container is still 1.3.10, which is as far as I can tell is Discourse 1.8.0.beta5?

(Mitchell Krog) #7

Has anyone running Ubuntu 16.04 noticed an update 2 days ago where Docker went from version

1.13.1-0~ubuntu-xenial > 17.03.0~ce-0~ubuntu-xenial

Certainly caught my eye at the big change in version number, everything discourse wise is running OK (so far).

Have yet to move to 1.8.0.beta6 only way to get it to update is to visit the page of your site https://yoursite.com/admin/upgrade#

(Andrew Waugh) #8

I upgraded docker on my sandbox (16.04) about 48 hours ago (That’s what the sandbox is for, right?). I haven’t noticed anything unusual in any of the logs or in htop, or performance wise.

(James North) #9

It appears I actually have Version: 1.11.0-0~xenial of docker-engine.

There appears to be an update available though.

I do my Discourse updates in the CLI too @JagWaugh.

Wonder if the update is a good idea? :slight_smile:

(Mitchell Krog) #10

I installed it, everything seems A-Ok to me so far. Might be my imagination but my discourse site actually seems a bit faster with this new strange version number from the Ubuntu repo. I’ve also noticed that when updating Discourse the restart of the docker is a lot faster than before.

(Andrew Waugh) #11

If you’re not already running one, build yourself a sandbox. Even if your live site is a hairy chested monster, you can run a sandbox on an AWS free tier machine. Once you’ve completed the initial setup you can disable any email (by editing app.yml so it’s email information is not correct), then restore a backup from your live site. This allows you to see what any updates or plugins or changes you’d like to try will do (or break) without messing with your live site.

(Mitchell Krog) #12

Thanks @JagWaugh i will certainly look into that, any guides on that?

(James North) #13

I have a few live installs of Discourse and don’t run a whole lot of plugins/weird stuff - everything’s generally cool.

Out of interest, I just did the update to docker-engine and it works great.

(Mitchell Krog) #14

I just updated this morning and dashboard says I am up to date but showing incorrect version number ??

(James North) #15

When I say this - I mean the site loads. Haven’t checked whether the version is accurate after an update or not.

(Andrew Waugh) #16

I could work one up, how detailed would you want it to be?

The details on getting the AWS node up and running are a bit foggy now, but everything after “Once you’ve got a node you can ssh into, and done the discourse 30 min install” would be pretty simple.

(Mitchell Krog) #17

I just checked my docker version after that update and got this:

# docker version
Client:
 Version:      17.03.0-ce
 API version:  1.26
 Go version:   go1.7.5
 Git commit:   60ccb22
 Built:        Thu Feb 23 11:02:43 2017
 OS/Arch:      linux/amd64

Server:
 Version:      17.03.0-ce
 API version:  1.26 (minimum version 1.12)
 Go version:   go1.7.5
 Git commit:   60ccb22
 Built:        Thu Feb 23 11:02:43 2017
 OS/Arch:      linux/amd64
 Experimental: false

(Mitchell Krog) #18

As detailed as possible :grinning:

(Andrew Waugh) #19

Ok, it might take me a week or so.

@team Where should I put this? #howto, #installation

(Mitchell Krog) #20

I think #howto would be the place, looking forward to it :wink: