"./launcher" no such file or directory

(Iceman) #1

Hi Everyone,

I have a Discourse installation running for a few weeks now. The thing is, after I installed it and started to play with it I remembered that I needed some customizations to be made and only then I cloned the Discourse Repo to my own.

Then I pointed the installation to the new Git Repo as is shown on this tutorial: Discourse Meta

So far so good (I guess :stuck_out_tongue: ) the thing is after that, for some reason that I hope you help me understand, I lost the “./launcher”. Whenever I try to rebuild the app or do some operation that requires the Launcher the console gives me that message error. Is this a “Known n00b error”?

Also, did I did the correct approach with the Repo? Because the alterations are like extra menus and stuff, so I guessed it was the best thing to do, but the only good tutorial that I found was that one.

I know it’s a lot of questions and the message sounds very confused (but that only reflects my current state :stuck_out_tongue: ). I would really appreciate any help on the matter since Discourse is my first Ruby and Linux-Hosted App (yes, good start, I know :wink: )

Thanks!

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

If you want to make changes, create plugins. Do not modify a fork of Discourse.

The /var/Discourse created in the standard install is actually Discourse-docker. That’s why you just the launcher command.

You probably want to move that directory elsewhere and then nice the shared directory from the old install over to the fresh one.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #3

NO! Sorry for “screaming” but cloning Discourse and customizing it is definitely not the correct approach. The post you linked to is over 2 years old, and is not an official #howto. It is also telling that not a single one of the Discourse devs liked the post. Third, as your first experience with Ruby and Linux, you’re in for a lot of pain trying to maintain a custom fork.

Anyway, let’s see if we can get you up and running on Discourse proper first, then deal with the customizations second.

1. Is your site already live? Will there be a community of people affected if the forum is taken down for a short period of time?
  2. Do you have data on the forum you don’t want to lose? Have you created topics/posts, or modified site settings you want to keep?

For ./launcher not working, what is the exact error message? Off the top of my head, without an error message, it could be an incorrect director, incorrect permissions, or something worse.

Edit: ninja’d by @pfaffman

Warning for new messages while writing to topic
(Iceman) #4

@pfaffman & @jomaxro

Thanks for your advice. Took your word and simply rebuild the entire instance from scratch. I misunderstood the “way to work on discourse”.

I will now study the “How” on correct plugin creation.

Thanks!

Missing notification on Meta