Leaving a Forum / Deleting your own account

(Scott Schaffter) #1

Is there any scope to allow users to delete their own accounts or “leave” the forum. Or at least show that they are no longer participating so it may leave the topics / comments they added but show that they have since “left”?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I suggest they edit their about me field with this information. It is visible on their user page and their user card.

(Scott Schaffter) #3

But there is still no way to remove your identity within the forum. Once you join you cannot leave.

I just think there might be situations in which people might want to do that. For example, many people join facebook, and at some point may want to “leave” / remove their information from the site. Their messages etc are still present for the most part but their user identity is removed.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

This will entirely depend on the policies of that particular forum. You could PM a moderator or flag one of your own posts. Mods can destroy users.

I believe what you are discussing with me is unanswerable because I cannot tell you what the policies of every forum in the world are, or may be.

(Scott Schaffter) #5

Fair enough - I guess just leaving that ability to delete accounts with mods allows for some degree of flexibility. It just isnt quite clear when you sign up that is the case. And also given you can only delete accounts before a given message / time limit has been reached, it makes it hard if say after a year or so of activity you want to remove your account and move on.

But I agree - this all depends on each forum’s needs etc. Im not saying there is a specific blanket answer. But it isnt really an option right now to even allow for forum owners to turn on / off (ie to grant the ability for users to delete their accounts)

Its definitely not a priority - but just noticed it wasnt a possibility and there in my mind some forums or communities that might want that ability.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

You can now self-delete your account, provided it has 1 post or less. See the bottom of your user preferences:

(omfg) #7

I don’t see it at a site where I’m a user.
Has “Delete” been removed?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Still there. Remember the rule – 1 post or less. There might be a time
limit in days as well.

(Stephanie) #9

I think the button now only shows if the account is eligible for deletion. (Pretty sure that was implemented recently, but I can’t find the relevant discussion.)