Legacy orphaned strings in translation files?

(probus) #1

I’v been looking at translating discourse for a couple of days now. I wonder if there are strings there that are not used anymore? For example, there are lot’s of strings about hot topics and voting for topics that I don’t think are relevant anymore. At least I haven’t seen them anywhere while using the sites. I’ve also wondered about some duplicate strings, like

notifications:        reasons:
          “1_2”: ‘You will be notified only if someone mentions your @name or replies to your post.’ 
         “1”: ‘You will be notified only if someone mentions your @name or replies to your post.’
          “0_2”: ‘You are ignoring all notifications on this topic.’
          “0”: ‘You are ignoring all notifications on this topic.’

What’s the point?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Report the specifics here and we will try to remove any orphaned translations.

(probus) #3

Surely there must be a better way than me trying to guess which ones are orphaned out of 2300 strings? Even if I did the whole translation myself, it would double the amount of work since I don’t know the code well enough to just pick the bad ones out. Regular translators wouldn’t know where to start.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Just share what you have. You are alluding to some above – don’t just allude, name.

(probus) #5

Searching for hot and vote in Transifex brings these strings

js.topics.none.hot
js.topics.bottom.hot
js.filters.hot.title
js.filters.hot.help

js.post.actions.it_too.vote
js.post.actions.undo.vote
js.post.actions.people.vote
js.post.actions.by_you.vote
js.post.actions.by_you_and_others.vote
js.post.actions.by_others.vote

The problem is, I don’t know any easy way to identify the orphaned strings. You would need a script or something.