Let's sort out singular vs plural for Russian (and actually all the other languages)

(Anton) #1

Dear developers,

Could we please sort out this once and for all,
so we could carry proper translation for Russian language.

The problem here is that there are 3 modifications in Russian language. Examples below are for the translation of the Topic term.

A. 1, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, … … тема (the suffix is a)

B. 2, 3, 4, [22, 23, 24], [32, 33, 34], [42, 43, 44]… темы (the suffix is ы)

C. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, [25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30], [35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40], [45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50]… тем (no suffix)

I have seen in Transifex there are 3 translation options for plurals: one, few and many.
Are they all in use?

If yes, then we probably could assign one -> A, few -> B and many -> C.
However, it will be confusing for translators because one is actually one, while the case A includes all numbers with the last digit = 1 (except 11).

NB. If we solve this, it will also apply to Ukrainian language.

The proper solution could be the following:

Allow for a custom function to be specified in the translation YML file.
That function should return a key that should be used.
Then we will name keys accordingly for Russian translators, for example:

• 1_or_21
  • 2_or_22
  • 5_or_55

That will make it very clear for any translator, because all they’ll have to do is to use some %{count} keeping in mind that its possible values are 1 or 21, 2 or 22, and 5 or 55.

We can avoid input of functions by allowing keys to be calculated by simple boolean/mathematical expressions in YML file, for example:

plural_keys:
  1_or_21: n==1 || (n > 20 &&  n % 10 == 1)
  2_or_22: n == 2 || n == 3 || n == 4 ||   (n > 20 &&  (n % 10 == 2 || n % 10 == 3 || n % 10 == 4) )
  5_or_55: default

This could well solve possible problems with other languages. Especially the number of keys needed and the intuitiveness of their names. Just define your language-dependent keys and use them through translation. It seems as boolean+math definitions are more than enough to describe any possible case.

I am also aware of the post below, and some cases in that thread would greatly become much simpler with what I proposed above.

Russian counting and male/female words
It's not possible to correctly translate "topic_stat_sentence"
(Anton) #2

To keep the default translation algorithm working, the standard approach can be applied if no plural_keys: is defined in the translation file.

(Rikki Tooley) #3

I don’t know anything about Russian, so I’m just curious: are you familiar with Russian translation in other open source projects? How do they do it? This seems like the kind of problem that someone else must have solved already, probably even with the same tools (YAML, Transifex).

When I worked at Nokia (MixRadio) we avoided the problem by wording sentences differently:

New notifications: 3

instead of

You have 3 new notifications.

Unfortunately I can’t provide more insight since I rarely worked with translations.

There’s a strong trend towards using natural language nowadays but I don’t know if it’s really worth the hassle, or even possible in all situations… either way I don’t like the idea of boolean expressions in a data file :stuck_out_tongue:

(Anton) #4

Hi and thanks for your comment.
Everything has been simplified and fit into how Discourse works now.

Pls see here: