Links in poll email notification?

(Michael Downey) #1

Reproduce:

1. Be set up to receive email notifications of your own posts.
  2. Create a new poll and wait for the notificaiton to arrive.

Expected results:

• I can vote for a result by clicking on the option in the email (preferred) or,
  • A link exists to take me to the poll to vote (this seems to be the design)

Actual results:

Screenshot:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

We do need to think about the email case here @zogstrip.

(Régis Hanol) #3

Here’s a quick fix (ie. remove the links) until we figure out what we want in emails :bird:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/10270593a49664df35bff54f4dde276e60bfe879

(Tobias Eigen) #4

I am seeing this problem, or one like it, today. Poll shows up in the email as a simply formatted ordered list and without a link to the post to vote.

Recipients are led to think they can vote by replying with their answer in the email.

Better would be for the poll to look similar to the post, and clicking anywhere on it takes you to the post for voting.

I also talked about another idea for handling voting by email in another post:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

We have no plans to work on this in the near future. All I was proposing above is a basic representation of the poll, not a live one via email…

(Tobias Eigen) #6

this would be fine and definitely much better than what we have now. even turning the whole poll into a big link that just sends the user to the poll on the site would be a huge improvement.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Sure turning the poll, when sent via email, into a hyperlink to the poll is sensible cc @zogstrip

(Régis Hanol) #8

Here’s the fix :grapes:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/515fc49727bbd8b7988c177df29f935fd6237d43

(Tobias Eigen) #9

I just tested this for the first time and am sad to see the poll options are now missing from the email notification. What I thought I was suggesting was not replacing the poll options with a text link “Click to view the poll” but rather displaying poll options that, when clicked, just take you to the poll on discourse.

I’ve just made a marketplace post for functionality that I think will fix this and am interested in paying for, if it can be developed.