"Loading topic..." on /latest

(Bill Ayakatubby) #1

I’m honestly not sure how to repro, but I’ve seen it in both Firefox and Chrome (latest release of both):

(YCH) #2

Same case at new topic list. Firefox 27.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

OK, but what is the repro?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #4

Good question. I can’t seem to make it happen at-will.

(probus) #5

I’ve had that happen as well a couple of times recently. Also having random problems with unread count, that could be related. Today, after first reloading the page and browsing through few topics using the back button to go back to topic list:

Note that I was browsing Latest. I clicked Unread after that happened, suspecting I didn’t have any unread topics left.

I also don’t know how to reproduce. This might be related to pressing the back button too quickly, i.e. getting back to the topic list before the title gets updated.

(probus) #6

I figured a way to almost reproduce this. I noticed that this happens sometimes when resizing the browser window. For both Chrome and Firefox on OSX I could reproduce it with

1. Refresh the front page
  2. Open up a topic
  3. Click logo to go back to topic list
  4. Resize the window even by a little bit

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work every time in Firefox. I opened a new window in private browsing and couldn’t reproduce it with these steps. Works in Chrome every time, though. I hope this helps and someone can get to the bottom of this.

Also, I’m quite sure the Unread() count is broken as well, but maybe these are not related. It just has been showing wrong counts and missing new posts uncharacteristicly many times lately for me.

(Sebastien Miquerolle) #7

I got this issue when I resized the top of my Chrome window. But not able to reproduce it after…

(probus) #8

I’m still getting this regularly. Here is another way to reproduce, with Chrome on OSX:

1. Open try.discourse.org
  2. Open ‘Discussion happens so much’ -topic from the last post (click ‘14 Feb’)
  3. Use the browsers back button
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 a couple of times until the bug appears

(ampburner) #9

Can confirm this is happening on my 0.9.9.10 install.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

If you can repro @eviltrout please take a look.

(Robin Ward) #11

I really can’t reproduce this, even on OSX / Chrome 35.0.1916.153 using the steps @probus above.

@probus Are you exactly the same version of Chrome? Are you logged in?

(Jeff Atwood) #12

I was able to repro this first time in Firefox @eviltrout. I was logged in as me.

(probus) #13

Exactly the same version of Chrome, 35.0.1916.153, on OSX 10.8.5 and 10.7.x. I have seen this in Firefox regularly as well, but it’s not as easy to reproduce. It doesn’t seem to matter if I’m logged in or not.

(Robin Ward) #14

I was able to reproduce it today on Firefox! Hopefully I can come up with a fix.

(Robin Ward) #15

I’ve deployed a fix to try.discourse.org and meta.discourse.org that I believe solves the problem. I wasn’t able to reproduce it 100% of the time but I have been unable to do it since adding this extra robustness. I would love it if someone in this topic could confirm it’s working properly now:

(probus) #16

The results from a new test:

It took me a lot longer than before. Before it took max three “open topic, use the back button” cycles to repro, now it took probably closer to 20. Same result with meta. I restarted the browser before and used incognito mode just in case.

(Robin Ward) #17

I guess that’s an improvement at least! Was there an error in the Javascript console in Chrome? If so could you expand it and post a screenshot here?

(probus) #18

Yes, it’s a big improvement.

No, there are no errors in the console and I don’t see anything different/suspicious in there.

edit. the one error you see is from blocking google analytics.

(Jeff Atwood) #19