Location Field in Profile preferences

(Naveen Aggarwal) #1

Hi,
In my installed discourse instance while updating Location its simply a Text Field (in editing profile preferences).

But according to ease for user there should be some short of dropdown like location selection or maybe suggest location to user as they type, Quora did the same.

Is there any way to replace it in dropdown way and put all the predefined location in it or maybe the way quora did?

(Michael Downey) #2

Yes please.

Super useful for international communities, presuming the normalized data would allow for some type of search would eventually be available to find others from your region.

(Tobias Eigen) #3

I actually prefer the open field, allowing me to put in something more personalized. It’s one small place where I can express a bit of personality and personal identity.

One thing I do miss for international communities I’m involved in is time zones! And maybe a display of what time it is in the user’s home time zone.

And as an aside: can I just say how much I appreciate the (newly discovered by me) World clock in Google Calendars? Displays to right of my calendar.

(Lisa Wess) #4

Off-topic a bit… I went searching for that feature as I’ve wanted it a lot - it turns out it is a Google Labs item. Thanks for sharing that!

(Tobias Eigen) #5

Glad to share. I found some details which I posted to my forum for those who might be interested. Apologies for the off-topic posts… sometimes a bit of off-topic can be helpful. :blush:

https://forum.kabissa.org/t/simplify-planning-meetings-add-a-world-clock-to-google-calendar/2881/1

(Michael Downey) #6

Quite small, in fact, compared to the options for Avatar, Profile Background, User Card Background, and the Markdown-formattable About me fields. :stuck_out_tongue:

Agree that customization of profiles is important, but location is an awful valuable opportunity for some structured data.