Looking for resource on EmberJS integration with Rails

(Tenzan) #1

I apologise in advance this is not directly related to Discourse.

I just wanted to ask what online resource you could recommend to read about EmberJS integration with Rails

Thanks.

(Erick Guan) #2

You could just search ember rails.

(Tenzan) #3

Well, you could just tell me: google it :smile:

And of course I did it before posting here.

There problem is there a several resources and they’re all different and posted here as Discourse’s using EmberJS with Rails, wondering/hoping I’ll be pointed to a most reliable resource…

(Sam Saffron) #4

Probably best seek help on http://discuss.emberjs.com/ but first search well and ensure it was not asked and answered ( spoiler: 99% sure it was asked and answered )

(Tenzan) #5

Thanks.

I see they’re using Discourse :smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

No lmgtfy here please.

(Erick Guan) #7

Sorry about that.

The most easy way to integrate EmberJS is use that gem since it covers lots of ember package. If you actually read and do it, I believe you don’t need to ever ask that kind of problem.

At Discourse, the pipeline is kind of different than the ember-rails gem. It’s bundled with some wrapper and customization. Just ignore that if you don’t want to work on Disocurse.

If you have any further question when look into the gem, http://discuss.emberjs.com/ is a good place to ask for help and suggestion. If want to know how we build Discourse, just ask here. It will be a pleasure to answer your question.

(Tenzan) #8

Of course, in particular, I want to learn/know how Discourse is implemented as it gives more knowledge about EmberJS & Ruby On Rails stack.

Here discourse/Gemfile at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub I see only 2 lines with ember:

gem 'ember-rails'
gem 'ember-source', '1.11.3.1'

The ember-rails gem is here. Or is this different repo from what you mean?

(Erick Guan) #9

I strongly suggest you don’t read Discourse for integration now. Instead, you should read ember-rails documentation.

(Tenzan) #10

I didn’t understand what you mean…

(Erick Guan) #11

I mean you should not read Discourse code. It’s not helpful to understand how to integrate EmberJs with Rails since Discourse is complicated. You should read ember-rails doc instead.

(Tenzan) #12

If I read the code, I’m not going to do it only for EmberJS integration, but for my general study.
Thanks for the advice.

(Erick Guan) #13

You may also want to contribute to Discourse when you try to understand the code :smile:

Understand Discourse code by fixing a bug

(Tenzan) #14

Sure and with my pleasure.
It’s a big honour to be able to contribute.
Thanks for the links, I will look at them for sure and I will always keep in mind about contribution. :smile: