Loomio integration

(Raphaël Jadot) #1

Hello,

Yes, I know, it’s easy to talk, not the same to code, but I just wanted to underline that there is a project that, I imagine, could perfectly expand discourse.org: Loomio

It’s a great tool that help in taking decisions, using also Ruby on Rails. While Discourse is great at being dynamic, and has better tool for writing, or formatting text than Loomio, this last is absolutely wonderfull to its “taking decision” purpose. We are using it for our new openmandriva.org project.

The combination of both would be amazing :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Seems like another request for poll functionality?

(Tobias Eigen) #3

Hey @codinghorror,

I am just starting to get my feet wet with both Discourse and Loomio, and from what I have seen, what they are doing over there goes way, way beyond poll functionality and is incredibly handy for group decision making. Take a look at the help page (https://www.loomio.org/help) which goes into some detail. The decision making functionality is deeply embedded in the discussions for each topic. As you add your vote (with four options - up, down, abstain, block) you can add a note explaining your vote. As discussions happen and people change their minds (and their votes) that change is recorded as it moves along. Each topic can have multiple decisions associated with it, and can also supersede each other if the group decides to do something different etc.

Meanwhile on loomio I miss the great functionality and usability of discourse and as discussion topics go on it is possible to get lost in discussions that have lots of contributions which I think is a real problem. So in my head I am thinking I’d like a discourse forum for discussion and a loomio site for decisionmaking, but am not happy about the thought of realizing too late when it should be one or the other. So some sort of integration or jumping off point would be interesting if it could be architected. E.g. in addition to the “reply as new topic” link to fork a discussion you have a “reply with a loomio topic” or something like that.

I have not seen the roadmap for loomio yet but my suspicion is that with all the funding they just got they will just start adding more discourse-like features to make discussions easier to join and follow unless there is some proactive decision to collaborate.

Here’s a typical example of a simple loomio discussion and decision with just a few people participating: Loomio

And another typical example of the nightmare when you have a discussion (with no decisions!) with potentially hundreds of people. This should be on a discourse forum: Loomio

Cheers,

Tobias

Adding a "spectrogram" poll type
(Jeff Atwood) #4

Discussions aren’t about decision making, they are about a bit of serendipitous learning, slight evolution in positions, and above all else – socializing.

If something must be “decided” formally, that is rather counter to the philosophical mission of Discourse.

(Tobias Eigen) #5

Yes, I can see that for most applications, and for forums that you are building discourse to serve.

But loomio is also a forum - discussions form a central component to the group decision making they are building loomio for. Each decision is part of a larger discussion, and each decision also has discussions/comments with each person saying why they voted one way or another. They also are permitting users to create topics for just pure discussions and info sharing, even without decisions.

I’m just saying they will have to build forums functionality in one way or another, and I hope they look to discourse for ideas. :smile:

(kieppie) #6

I have used (& still do in some cases) use Loomio (know some of the devs here in NZ) & it’s a fantastic platform for its intended use, but the discussion section of their platform is not as well-evolved as Discourse IMHO, as their focus relates primarily to the consunsus mechanism - I’ve been vehemently informed it’s not just a voting or polling platform.

(I’m no Ruby/RoR dev, but) I don’t know how fesible it would be to simply rip out their discussion section & replace it wholesale with Discourse topics.

/me just spitballing here

(Ilya Kuchaev) #7

I’m sure that I want to continue this OLD topic :smile:

I really want to know if there is any way to create a decision making platform on the top of Discourse. Loomio is a great tool with a sad discussions section. I know the other one, Airesis, with a lack of localization and horrible UI :smile:

(Raphaël Jadot) #8

Thanks kuchaev_iv I did not know Airesis :slight_smile: