Mail Posting Configuration

(Takumo) #1

I’ve got my discourse install set up and running quite well, but a lot of users are looking for e-mail based reply and posting.

I’m new to setting up mail servers so would like some guidance on setting up the mail system to achieve the following:

• Each category will be set up with an inbox, e.g. general@forum.mysite.com
  • Replies will be sent to topic-%{reply_key}@forum.mysite.com

I’ve been trying to configure dovecot for this but so far have had no luck getting it to function, anyone got this set up?

Thanks.

(Dean Taylor) #2

How to post here:

(Takumo) #3

I’ve read through that post, but I’m not so sure its suitable in this instance as we’d like to keep all of this stuff within our own systems. I’m open to using different mail server software, but not sold on using gmail.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Mail config turns out to be hellishly complex on the server, so there may be limited help we can provide – not due to lack of desire, but simply because we don’t know how to do it ourselves.

(Takumo) #5

I couldn’t have said that better myself, the list of software more difficult to configure that I’ve come across than a mail server could be counted on one hand. If all else fails I will end up with Gmail, but would prefer to avoid it.

If I do come to a solution, I will be sure to post it.

(Kane York) #6

If you can get everything arriving in one mailbox, with different To addreses, that’s good enough.

The To: address is what matters when Discourse decides how to process it.

(Takumo) #7

I’ve managed to get this set up using dovecot and postfix.

I configured postfix to listen for mail on the domain, and push all mail to a local user disource_mail via the dovecot LDA.

It has some rough edges, it currently isn’t checking SPF or checking for what addresses are actually receiving, but with postfix, it is possible for it to check if the address is either a valid topic reply address, or a category submission address.

(Ben McGinnes) #8

[quote=“codinghorror, post:4, topic:24823, full:true”]
Mail config turns out to be hellishly complex on the server, so there may be limited help we can provide – not due to lack of desire, but simply because we don’t know how to do it ourselves.[/quote]

I was about to say it depends on your library support, but then I remembered it’s ruby and I’ve got no idea what the relevant libs are like with that. Most of the people who’ve ranted at me about ruby in the past are also anti-email, but that says sod all, it could just mean the ruby devs who know how email works are also polite. :wink:

My own queries along this line, though deals with to what extent MIME is supported and, even more eclecticly, PGP/MIME? Yeah, edge cases, I know, but I’m considering this route as a better option than a mailing list for an author’s mailing list (a client, can’t say who, shouldn’t matter anyway). He wants a mailing list, his wife thinks a forum, I suspect this will keep them both happy (the MIME question is for them and their HTML email habits, the PGP/MIME question is my own curiosity).