Make a case (or not) for dual composer view on node.bb

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

An interesting discussion just popped up over at the nodebb.org forum:

Any reason why the dual composer view was chosen over WYSIWYG?

Well, after using the dual composer feature on a few sites besides this one such as the one on Dillinger, Ghost, Discourse and a few other sites, I’ve come to the conclusion that the dual composer is a failure for the use of a forum for many reasons.

When you are composing something, you want as much space as possible to write. I feel squeezed and constrained in a sense because I have this window pane to the right of me taking up half the space to write on. I’m sure there are mixed feelings about this, but if I had to choose whether I wanted the double pane view or the single WYSIWYG editor, I would definitely choose WYSIWYG.

Now, we could have our own forked discussion here, but frankly I think the neighbourly thing to do would be to go on over there, put in your 2 cents, and get a feel for a slightly different kind of forum experience while you’re at it.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

You can always collapse the preview here via the link at the bottom right of the editor to get one “pane”. And that pref is stored in your browser’s local storage.

(Sam Saffron) #3

I think they are trying to make an argument for a wysiwyg editor akin to what cough quora have or perhaps GitHub - yabwe/medium-editor: Medium.com WYSIWYG editor clone. Uses contenteditable API to implement a rich text solution. or tinymce

It would have to be a plugin that you decide on from day 0. Moving in and out of markdown from HTML is an impractical path to take.

(Dave McClure) #4

I think [this proposal] (Any reason why the dual composer view was chosen over WYSIWYG? | NodeBB) is somewhat compelling.

But it wouldn’t work with discourse’s feature that allows you to navigate around to different topics whilst composing a reply, which we have all grown to know and love.

(Sam Saffron) #5

One thing I kind of like is a syntax highlighted markdown editor, its a subtle but in my very humble opinion a noticeable improvement.

http://ace.c9.io/build/kitchen-sink.html

It would clearly have to be a plugin cause it adds weight to the page.

(Mittineague) #6

If it were rather ~not~ dual view but toggle view I think this would be an oft used feature.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

This is effectively a toggle by clicking at the bottom right:

(Mittineague) #8

Sorry I wasn’t clear, though that does answer the “dual view” concern.

I was meaning a toggle between MarkDown and a WYSIWYG in the left pane.

(Sam Saffron) #9

Thing is WYSIWYG is not practical without a major engineering effort, we are talking months and months of work. Syntax highlighted markdown editor is very simple on the other hand, but adds page weight.

(Mittineague) #10

Yes, I understand. I have had little to no problem with the MarkDown editor once I got more used to it.
Hopefully others will pick it up quickly too.