Make category landing page mimic homepage appearance

(Samuel Peterson) #1

Is there a way to configure category pages so that they auto-populate with the sub-categories rather than the various posts from within each sub-category?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I am not sure what you mean, can you provide a quick mockup?

(Samuel Peterson) #3

Sure! I may not be wording this properly.
Essentially, what I’m saying is that our Home page automatically displays the main categories, as seen in this screenshot. However, the landing page for each of those categories displays posts from any of the sub-categories, as seen here, with many redundancies based on the popularity of certain sub-categories.
Is it possible to configure the landing page for a category to only display the sub-categories (as the Home page only displays the categories)?

Does that make more sense?

(Samuel Peterson) #4

@codinghorror Not sure whether the holiday weekend got the best of you or I didn’t explain myself clearly. Let me know if you need me to provide more details on what I’m hoping to achieve.

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #5

So instead of this…

http://forums.8tracks.com/category/music-genres

you want this?

http://forums.8tracks.com/category/music-genres/none

(Samuel Peterson) #6

No, sorry, I guess I’m still not explaining it properly.

I’d still like have the subcategories, but I’d like them to populate the ‘Music genres’ landing page as the main categories populate the home page: 1 per category. So, instead of seeing all the pinned and most recent topics for all genres, a user would only see 1 group per genre upon landing on the ‘Music genres’ page.

Essentially, what I’m looking to do is recreate the layout/formatting of the home page in a category page.
Is that possible?

(Mittineague) #7

I think I understand.

The Category page has categories in groupings with some of their posts to the right.

Individual category pages have topics not grouped into subcategories with their stats to the right.

Maybe not so easy to do aesthetically, got a mock-up?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I think you want the “show subcategory list” option checked in the settings. You may need to update to a more recent Discourse to get this option, though.