Make thread reply button full width and transparent

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Move “Reply as new Topic” to align with “Reply”

I have a new suggestion for the reply button.

Default:

On hover:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Why? For what purpose? Why would anyone want to make the button this obnoxiously large and ugly?

Is there any evidence that people can’t find the reply to topic button in its current position?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

I felt like it made sense to differentiate this button more from the inline reply button. By making it full width you’re kind of getting a visual image of how this post stands on its own, unlinked to any other post.

It may not be the prettiest solution, but I’m not a big fan of the +Reply button as it stands either. I feel it’s weird to have it sidelined there along with other buttons such as “Favorite” and “Share” as if they’re equals. The reply button is the king of buttons, the forum’s continued heartbeat.

Right now it’s placed in the most arbitrary location possible. I’m trying to give it a more “steadfast” location if you will. I’d love to see other ideas.

(Sam Saffron) #5

I am not seeing the problem

I don’t see this as side-lining, we are grouping post actions together and topic actions together.

(Sjors) #6

I agree with Jeff on this one. Current button is easy to find and stands out with it’s colour. If you want more people to reply I think an empty reply box just like the stackexchange network does it, is a better approach.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #7

The fact that topic actions have been grouped together is not immediately obvious, and as a left-to-right reader I don’t appreciate the fact that I have to wade through these less important buttons before I get to the main attraction.

But I’m off to the mountains now so time will tell if I still feel strongly enough about this to revive the argument in a couple of days ^^ So long!

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I hear you, but as many Discourse topics solicit lots of opinions (what’s your favorite, what’s the best, how do you prefer…) I am not sure we want to overly encourage too many drive by opinion responses.

You would still have to create an account either way of course so it becomes a choice between “create account before I can type a reply” or “create account now that I have typed a reply”. Subtle distinction but the tone is quite different.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

This is a very old topic, but it’s still relevant.

I am open to the idea of rewarding people who reach the bottom of the topic with a call to reply.

Flarum does it like this, making it look like a template reply “underneath” the last reply:

It’s kind of tied to being at the bottom of the page a bit, but it’s not a bad presentational idea and not very different from a Reply button.

(Marco) #10

In my opinion there should be a clear visual and textual difference between “reply to topic” and “reply to post”, as I wrote here: Discourse Meta

If you follow the Flarum route, which I like, would you consider adding two buttons at the bottom of the reply box instead of one?

This method has become pretty popular as of late. It’s all about eliminating as many steps/clicks as possible to get that coveted user commitment. Disqus also follows a similar workflow.

I actually really like the placeholder text as well. I feel like “Join the discussion” is more inviting and representative of what you are doing when replying to a topic and not a post. I guess that text would only apply to new users/members of the discussion, however, so it might not be relevant.

Now I am just rambling, but is it a goal of Discourse to eliminate as may barriers as possible for users/visitors to contribute to the discussion? I know when the topic was brought up regarding the hurdles to reply to embedded comments, it was seen as a design choice to require users to go through a few extra hoops to post a reply in order to thwart the off-handed comments you generally receive with a comment system. I’m just trying to get a feel for the goal of this potential design decision.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

No, this is a classic “don’t make me think” scenario. Which button to press? It’s confusing to have two reply buttons at the bottom of a topic. If you want to reply to a post, click the reply button on that particular post. Simple.

Not really, no.

But I feel if you have reached the bottom, you’ve at least done the work to read the whole topic so I am open to doing a bit more there.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13

7 posts were split to a new topic: ‘login to reply’ button should match ‘reply to topic’ button