Making Non-English Category URL Understandable. Not like /c/13-category

When we create a new category, let’s say 'newsfeed', its url will be /c/newsfeed automatically.

However, when I create a category with Non-English characters, let’s say '뉴스피드', its URL will be like /c/13-category.

Similarly, if I edit 'Uncategorized' to … like '미분류', then I will have /c/1-category, not /c/uncategorized.

I want to keep the 'Uncategorized' URL as /c/uncategorized even if it translated.

Also, I want to change the '뉴스피드' category’s URL from /c/13-category/c/newsfeed.

I don’t want to use 13-category as a category’s URL…

I want more distinctive URL!

Do you have any advice for this?

Is it not possible…? :disappointed_relieved:
Your help will be appreciated!!

Just 1 more bump here… because I am just shocked :anguished:

I was making all the categories with default locale setting (English).

That’s why this topic came in here first.

However, with different locale setting. (I am using ko, and I just made categories with ko setting)

If I create a category in Korean (ex. '뉴스피드')
… then Super weird URL made! (ex. 'nyuseupideu' which is nobody will recognize.)

System translates the name to English as just how it pronounced.
If my visitors see that category URL…they will think me an idiot.

In my opinion, this is not good.
(of course I can change the locale to en whenever I create categories… but I don’t think this is the solution.)

Much better to have /c/13-category than /c/nyuseupideu
This much grade : /newsfeed >>>>>>> /13-category >>>>>>>>>> … >>>>>>>>>>> /nyuseupideu

ps. Everyone is OK with auto translated category names? I am curious. Perhaps, is there a toggle for this?

(Marcin Rataj) #4

Seems that phonetic transliteration does not look good for Korean communities. :open_mouth:

Transliteration to ASCII works much better for simpler languages (eg. in polish: gżegżółka -> gzegzolka :thumbsup: ).

Ideas:

• Perhaps it could be beneficial to add a checkbox which would disable transliteration of category URLs during its creation
  • …or just make it possible to modify category URL slug during creation?

PS. What about topic titles in topic URLs? Are they transliterated too?

(Sam Saffron) #5

The transliteration is recent, Chinese seem to prefer it, happy to disable in Korean if it makes no sense, wonder about Japanese

I just tested it.

When it comes to creating Topic Title’, it is so critical.

with ko setting, creating topic in Korean(ex ‘테스트 토픽’), result is t/teseuteu-topig/44 (not make sense)

In ‘en’ setting, creating topic in Korean, result is t/topic/45

no… I hope the soluion for this desperately.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

What ascii transliteration, if any, would be correct in that specific case?

In Korean, it does not make sense at all. Please disable it. (topics and categories both)

With my humble Japanese, I just guess… better to disable in Japanese too. but I can’t guarantee it.

Translation of /테스트 토픽 should be /test-topic

but we usually use /topic45 or /테스트-토픽

But I guess transliteration for Korean will not work well. (we never use transliteration)
Most case, doesn’t make sense. and we think that weird. (we have a word to ridicule that kind of things)

Just numbering is OK for topics.
But Categories should be in proper English.

Koreans prefer English in URLs.
Using Korean slugs/URLs(Not transliteration) is awkward, but some of websites use it… I guess recently It’s getting popular slowly.

Wordpress provides Korean URL, but usually people choose English URL option. (But there are people who prefer Korean URL also.)

If you can make slug/URL in Korean exactly(not transliteration)… that will be cool. But numbering is just OK…I guess.

Once again, please disable transliteration :wink: and Please make us can control URLs of categories.

Jesus… I want to explain in English better than this…and give you guys some insights.

(Erick Guan) #10

For Simplified Chinese, we use pinyin. It’s the official phonetic system and it’s used for romanization. But Taiwanese don’t use it since they have different way to represent the pronunciation which is hieroglyphic(kinda cool).

Though slug is for url and most people won’t care about it, I want to explain more so we can do better for that.

It will be cool if we can use some magic like pinyin. It’s the right tool to represent the character. Many media use this to report things from China.

Then, what about others? If the title was CJK character, the slug generator would just cut down these character or leave alone the english words in the title. :no_good: There are some ways I have seen.

1. English slug. It needs the end user to translate it. Suitable to wordpress, not good at all for discourse. But manually controlling the category’s url is interesting.
  2. Original character. If we can avoid the percent encoded things when to copy it.
  3. Default. That would be always topic or as is.

(Sam Saffron) #11

Is that common in Korean sites? Some browsers do not support it as far as I know.

Not common. Just few. (and zero transliterated URLs)

URLs in English is dominant here.

And I did some search, it seems there are some problems of encoding Korean URLs… like you said.

So… let’s use English! :smile:

ps.

• For Topics/Posts = We prefer permalinks with numbering (ex. /t/topic1 /t/topic2 …) not Slugs.
    ( We are not familiar with Slugs. I just knew what slug is recently…)
  • For Categories = We do use titles in English (ex. /c/latest /c/news)

(Kane York) #13

In this context, slug means “a short, URL-safe, human-readable name”.

Hmm I was saying title based URLs.

like… /t/making-non-english-category-url-understandable-not-like-c-13-category/

We don’t prefer this.

(oh… URL safe?.. I am not familiar with Slug this much :wink: So if I change this topic’s title, but I can still access with this? /t/making-non-english-category-url-understandable-not-like-c-13-category/)

(Sam Saffron) #15

I disabled the magic slugifier in korean, let me know if you prefer it.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/e668d770ac0fdb3486386d51b45f20d97e5677b3

Disabling English slugfier for topic's URL in Korean language setting

I checked it and totally prefer it :+1:

What about changing URLs of categories manually? Do you have any plan or idea?

(Sam Saffron) #17

there are no plans can you explain what you want with an example?

If I create a category in Korean, let’s say '이야기' (means ‘story’), then URL made /c/13-category like this.

But I want to change the URL to /c/story but keep the cat title '이야기' in Korean.

I want to use distinctive URLs for categories. :wink:

Keep category name in Non-English, but change the URL with what I want to use in English
(Sam Saffron) #19

I see, make a topic in the feature request category, it makes sense though not sure when we can slot this in.

(Jeff Atwood) #20

Pretty sure this is implemented since categories can specify custom slugs now.