Making 'whispers' more obvious?

(Lisa Wess) #1

We are finding that Whispers are not obvious enough with that little eye icon. Do posts that are ‘whispers’ have a CSS class that I can use to make these posts pop?

(Sam Saffron) #3

Yeah .topic-post.whisper would target it. you can style the whole post or any part of it.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

The whole post is in italic and grey as well via default CSS selector styles, it’s not just the eye icon…

(Lisa Wess) #5

I’ll get a screenshot when our staging instance is back up. We definitely didn’t have italics or a grey background. The class @sam mentioned will be perfect for us. Thank you!

(Joe Seyfried) #6

The font color is grey, not the background. I guess that might come from some site customization - it worked quite nicely on our site. The only thing I added was a 50% opacity for .whisper img, so embedded images and smilies went into “whisper mode”, too…

(Lisa Wess) #7

I misunderstood. Thank you! I’ll be playing with it this morning - very excited for this particular feature and we are a bit behind.

(Lisa Wess) #8

I ran into some issues with width and I’m very rusty with CSS - so I asked our engineers for help and it was just as simple as I feared :smile:

div.topic-post.whisper div.topic-body{
    your css;
} 

Thanks all!

(Jeff Atwood) #9

One thing we should absolutely do @eviltrout is make sure the preview shows in the whisper style, that is, italic and grey. That would emphasize, at least to me, that a whisper is what I am typing…

(Robin Ward) #11

This commit adds the whisper style in preview:

On a recent whisper, one of my forum team accidentally hit the blue highlighted “reply-to-topic” button, as opposed to the “reply-to-post” button. This caused a few blushes.

I spoke to him about it and he suggested highlighting the “reply-to-post” button on whispers, making it abundantly clear what’s going on:

Mockup:

(Jeff Atwood) #13

We already show the post preview in the correct whisper style so I don’t agree with this. Slippery slope, what next, pop a confirmation dialog every time?

(cpradio) #14

I was thinking more of Clippy. “Hey, we see you are replying and the last response was a whisper, would you like to make sure this one is too?” :laughing: :slight_smile:

(Sam Saffron) #15

Well regardless this is doable using CSS I think

Cause enclosing DIV is .topic-post.whisper

@anon2041049 I recommend you experiment on your own forum with other whisper styles and whisper button styles and let us know how you go.

You’re right, but don’t forget - this styling is very subtle - especially on mobile. I’m not sure this is sufficient to prevent fat finger errors.

Agree a confirmation dialog would be overkill.

@Sam - I will do this using CSS on my site. I can’t see any downsides whatsoever. Thanks for the recommendation.

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Ah, good point, on mobile there is no preview to see. There is the eyeball icon though. I guess we could make it flash or blink… but you see where this is going, bad places :wink:

I’ve had a fiddle with some CSS and this is the result (apologies for the eye-gouging orange shade, but this is consistent with the colour we use for other “team”-styled elements)

… And when replying:

.topic-post.whisper button.reply, #reply-control.composing-whisper .submit-panel button.create {
   background-color: #F7941D;
   color: white; 
}
.topic-post.whisper button.reply:after, #reply-control.composing-whisper .submit-panel button.create:after {
  content: " as Whisper";
}
.topic-post.whisper, #reply-control.composing-whisper {
  background-color: #f7edea;
}

Ideally would like the composer button to read “Whisper” (as this would take less space on mobile browsers)… but not sure how best to do this?

I tried hiding the existing “Reply” text using the below CSS, but this didn’t work:

#reply-control.composing-whisper .submit-panel button.create * {
  display: none
}

(Shai Bermanis) #19

Are whispers suppose to send email notifications?

No, the definitely don’t.

(Jeff Atwood) #21

Er what? They follow the same notification rules as regular posts, as long as you are staff and can see them in the first place.

I understood the question to be whether notifications of whispers would be sent to other users in the discussion.