Mandrill still recommended?

(Joe Buhlig) #1

Just curious since they’ve changed their pricing structure. Looks like it’s $10/month to get started with them. I’m a big Mailchimp fan so I may still go that route, but I’m interested to know if that changes the recommended setup.

(Siraj Mahmood) #2

From business perspective ‘Yes’ because of their features and service. If you can not bear approximately $10/month so you may go ahead with mailgun. because they are offering 10k emails/month FREE, which is suitable for beginner who do not want to invest at this moment. :wink:

(Fábio Machado De Oliveira) #3

I chose mailjet, because the limit is per day instead of month, so if I ever spend it, I don’t have to wait so much to get back online.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

Looks like this is indeed the case.

I signed up for a new account to confirm, and the only thing you get from now on is a free trial of 2000 total sends. I’m guessing there’s no more freebies once I’ve gone past that amount, and it won’t refresh each month either.

For now I haven’t received any notice about my old account (registered while they still offered 12k free sends per month) being downgraded. Hopefully they’ll generously let old registrants stay on their free plan.

I do think this means Discourse needs to find a new go-to recommendation. Most first-time installs are for trial purposes.

(Joe Buhlig) #5

Makes sense. I’ll probably stick with Mandrill since I’ll be using it for production.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

There are already several recommendations in our official install guide…

(Joe Buhlig) #7

I guess I didn’t clarify that part. Aware of the variety provided in the doc. Solid list. I was just wondering if the number one had changed given the circumstances. I’m sorry I didn’t make that clear.

(Régis Hanol) #8

The current doc says

No existing mail server? Create a free account on SparkPost (10k emails/month), Mailgun (10k emails/month), Mailjet (200 emails/day) or Mandrill, and use the credentials provided in the dashboard.

So, technically, it’s not our number one. It only changed because their free plan has been hugely degraded. But they all are fine, really.

(Joe Buhlig) #9

Again, I’m sorry. I must have misunderstood the bolding of Mandrill and follow up that only talks about Mandrill. I took that (and all the topics about it) to mean it was your number one. I didn’t realize there was no number one.

For proper email deliverability, you must set the SPF and DKIM records in your DNS. In Mandrill, that’s under Sending Domains, View DKIM/SPF setup instructions.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Feel free to submit a PR that clarifies that.

(pjv) #11

sendgrid has a free tier that is the same pricing as what mandrill used to offer: 12,000 free per month.

(Sebastian) #12

Still on the 12k/month free tier…

On that note, still wondering… why use an external service at all, half the internet uses server-internal sendmail or whatever type stuff… am I missing something here? I do use Mandrill and I appreciate their service, but 99% of the websites I maintain don’t need it

(Jeff Atwood) #13

@joebuhlig that’s a generic reference for SPF and DKIM that just happens to be on their domain, so I am perplexed why this has to be such a major point of contention. Anyway I removed the reference from the doc if it is too bothersome.

@pjv good point, added sendgrid to the doc just now.

@sebastianh server email configuration is super hard to get right, we field way too many support requests on email and frankly I am sick as hell of it, unless people are paying us. So we strongly recommend using one of the existing services that get this right out of the box with minimal confusion and configuration.

(Joe Buhlig) #14

I didn’t mean to cause issues over it. I was just wondering if the pricing change made any difference from the teams perspective.

I’m not about to set up my own server and wanted to make sure my choice was easily compatible. Thanks for the feedback.

(Régis Hanol) #15