Mark Topic as Read

(cpradio) #1

So here is a situation I see our users running into a lot. We have topics that are currently thousands of pages long. If I’m a new user, I don’t want to have to visit every topic so that when I click on the topic title (the usual way to enter a topic) it takes me to the end. Yes, I realize we can use the activity date, but that isn’t the first thought that runs through your mind when entering a topic.

Okay, so back on point. I want a way to tell Discourse, mark all posts in this topic as “read”. So when I click on the topic title, it takes me to the end.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

We have no plans for this. I suggest clicking or tapping on the last post date to enter the topic at the bottom, or enter the topic, click or tap the progress bar, and click or tap bottom.

(cpradio) #3

Definitely doesn’t need to be immediate future, just throwing it out there in case others have had similar thoughts.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I am not sure what to do here, its an unclear feature request, I can not even tell what UI you would be asking for and we already have “mark posts read” which overlaps a fair bit.

Moving this out of the feature category for now.

(Mittineague) #5

I think the reason @cpradio and I have so many has to do with so many threads/topics getting migrated. So most likely this is an edge case.

i.e. I “joined” prior to the migration and had my “consider as new” Preference set at 2 days. (I’m there every day so that works for me). Although many of what was migrated were indeed very old, Discourse saw them as being “created” on the date they were migrated, not the dates they had at vB.

So I don’t think this is a problem for most members, but only for Staff that were there before the official launch.

I yet to see it. Where is it at?

(cpradio) #6

It is only on the New/Unread tabs (I think the Unread tab only actually).

I was more thinking at the bottom of the topic (maybe next to tracking), having “Mark Posts as Read”.

So when I join a forum that has a few VERY long topics, I can press End, and mark them all as read. After using Discourse daily, I have less of a need for this, but I bet our new members still want it on occasions.

(Mittineague) #7

Thanks, now I see them.
Dismiss New
Dismiss Posts
Dismiss Topics

I don’t think most members will have the thousands of topics constantly shifting into the 500 new/unread like we have. but I can see where this could be handy for a member that hasn’t visited the forum for a while.

Is there an undocumented discoverable query parameter that could be used for New and Unread that would allow Dismissing by Category?

(cpradio) #8

I think there is an open feature for that somewhere here, it doesn’t currently exist though.

@sam, the more I think about this, the more I think you can just close this. I think the “Dismiss Posts” on the Unread tab can fulfill this role well enough for now. If it should come up later, or someone wants it again, they can always create a new topic about it.

(Sam Saffron) #9